Hard disk diappears momentarily & BSOD /&reboot

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Tatu, May 16, 2005.

  1. Tatu

    Tatu Guest

    Hia!

    I have a A8V DLX bios 1011, newest VIA drivers & Catalysts for my gfx
    card X800XT. Sounbdcard s a Audigy 2 with freshest drivers installed.
    Powersupply is a 460 W BeQuite. I use striped RAID on the VIA
    controller. I have 2 x Maxtor 9 120 GB sata drives.

    I have experienced some problems lately. When I make large file
    transfers, the system freezes & then goes into BSOD. I gotta do a hard
    boot.

    When entering the windows the VIA RAID-software tell's me that RAID
    array is broken and fixes it! Windows tells me that is had recovered
    from fatal error caused by hte Windows inability momentarily read the
    RAID - array (HDs).

    Any ideas how I could fix this. With bios 1009 this problmwen was
    worse. The new bios did not fix the problmen, made it less frequent
    though!

    I appreciate your help!

    THX

    Tatu Heiskanen

    Tatu, May 16, 2005

  2. Tatu

    Gert B. Frob Guest

    It sounds as if one of your drives is failing. First thing first. Run
    chkdsk against the array with all options checked. Check the event log for
    errors. Then, use the VIA raid application to check everything out. If
    that comes back clean, I would download Maxtor's disk utility and check the
    disks for errors. You will probably need to temporarily attach each drive
    in turn to a primary IDE channel. If it finds errors, don't let it fix them
    until you back up your array (your RAID will be broken).

    Gert B. Frob, May 18, 2005

  3. Tatu

    Tatu Guest

    Hia!

    Thank you for the answer!

    Basically I feared the same thing. Another thing I have learnt is that
    Maxtor & VIA chipset don't go nicely together always! There is rather
    long thread on the subject in the VIA - forum
    (http://www.viaarena.com/). So I'll do what you suggested & then go to
    buys some new hardrives & rid of these old ones (OLD - lol - like 10
    months old).

    I really appreciated this :)

    Tatu Heiskanen

    Tatu, May 19, 2005