    Whats going on??

    Thanks,
    Jimmy

    Jimmy, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Jimmy

    Jimmy Guest

    Hello,
    Last night i checked my computer hard-drive and it was 75 gb free space and
    now today it is 63.3gb free,

    I have also selected every folder in my C: drive and clicked properties and
    it shows that my harddisk actually has only used 30gb

    I have a 111gb drive (meant to be 120gb)
    So do the maths

    111gb - 30gb = 81gb and it says that i only have 63.3gb???
    Whats going on??

    Thanks,
    Jimmy

    Jimmy, Apr 1, 2004

  3. Jimmy

    Mouse Guest

    A few things to take care of:

    1) do you always look at the same item in the properties windows, as
    ther eis a difference between file size and actual size on disk ??
    2) the maths is tricky as depending on how they defined 1k (1000 or 1024
    ) you end up with different results, so be aware of that
    3) you probably have some hidden temporary files which you are not
    measuring at all, the most important one would be your virtual harddrive
    space, which is (if you did not change it) something growing and
    decreasing depending on your PC usage, so that changes the overall
    picture of what you have used on your disk too.

    and please don't cross post as heavily as you did

    Mouse, Apr 1, 2004
  4. Jimmy

    Eugene Guest

    I guess, you should just check your disk if there are any errors...
    For example, by NDD(NU) or even Scandisk...
    Errors on the disk can cause incorrect free space be shown up...

    Eugene, Apr 1, 2004
  5. Remember also that a 120GB drive when formatted won't appear as 120GB's -
    more like 114GB's

    Rich

    Richard Harris, Apr 1, 2004
  6. Jimmy

    Jimmy Guest

    Thanks guys/gals,
    I found out the problem,
    I have Norton Anti-Virus 2003 installed, and it "plurges" all installed and
    uninstalled files to a maximum amount set by Norton,
    I had to right-click recycling bin, go to properties and find plurge files
    settings,
    I then found that norton was using 40% maximum to do this, i put it down to
    5% and tada....my C: went back upto 88gb free space.
    I hate new software that makes inconviences, as this computer i have is used
    for video productions, and every bit of space is needed.

    Also, I am sorry for cross posting, as I was worried and wanted as much help
    as possible, Please forgive me.
    And yes, i know that Richard, as mine was formated 111gb

    Thanks again everyone,
    Jimmy

    Jimmy, Apr 1, 2004
  7. Jimmy

    Leslie Guest

    Leslie, Apr 1, 2004
  8. In

    No, the issue is not formatting. All hard drive manufacturers
    define 1GB as 1,000,000,000 bytes, while the rest of the computer
    world, including Windows, defines it as 2 to the 30th power
    (1,073,741,824) bytes. So a 120 billion bye drive is actually a
    little under 112GB.

    Some people point out that the official international standard
    defines the "G" of GB as one billion, not 1,073,741,824. Correct
    though they are, using the binary value of GB is so well
    established in the computer world that I consider using the
    decimal value of a billion to be deceptive marketing.

    Ken Blake, MVP, Apr 1, 2004
  9. Jimmy

    Bob Willard Guest

    Confusion will continue while the meaning of G is context-sensitive:

    G = 1,073,741,824 in GB (always for RAM, sometimes for disk)
    G = 1,000,000,000 in Gb (e.g., GbE)
    G = 1,000,000,000 in GHz (on this, we're consistent)

    Sigh. M$ at least helps by sometimes reporting HD sizes in binary GBs
    and in non-argumentative Bs.

    Bob Willard, Apr 1, 2004
  10. Jimmy

    Lil' Dave Guest

    You're kidding. The word is "purge" by the way.

    Lil' Dave, Apr 1, 2004
  11. Jimmy

    Rod Speed Guest

    Incorrect. The decimal form is used in quite a few
    other areas than just hard drives, most obviously
    with cpu speeds, and some things are a weird
    decimal/binary hybrid like the 1.44MB floppy.
    You are in fact grossly overstating that.
    More fool you when the decimal form
    has always been used for cpu speeds.

    Rod Speed, Apr 1, 2004
  12. Jimmy