    30secs before disapearing! If I open it before its gone, it works perfectly.
    Any one any ideas? Its driving me crazy.

    Graham

    GVW, Jul 20, 2004

  2. Did you forget to partition and/or format it? (in Control Panel - Computer
    Management - Disk Management)

    Andreas

    Andreas Groegel, Jul 20, 2004

  3. GVW

    GVW Guest

    The disk is formatted and partitioned. If I am quick enough to open it,
    before it disapears (after having uninstalled it and rebooted), I can read
    and write to it. Once it has disapeared, Disk Manager does not show it at
    all. Device Manager does though.
    If I stick it onto IDE channel 1 or 2 no problems. But I want it on channel
    3 or 4.
    Graham

    GVW, Jul 20, 2004
  4. This is completely correct!...
    Explorer, for hard disks, _does not_ display drives, it displays
    _partitions_ (for removable media drives, it does display drives). Hence,
    since there is no partition on a new drive, it will not appear in
    Explorer.
    Look at disk manager (under administrative tools), which is the tool to
    create partitions in XP...

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett, Jul 20, 2004
  5. Just to confirm.

    You want to run the new drive as IDE (not RAID) on channel 3? And you've
    installed the Promise drivers for Windows (SCSI and RAID controllers in
    Device Manager)? Not sure of the correct names under XP (W2KP here) but
    is the disk visible/active in Administrative Tools > Computer Management
    (Logical Disk Manager Service, not System > Device Manager)?

    Simon Elliott, Jul 20, 2004