Hard Drive Comaptibility Gateway vs non-Gateway????

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by mike, Dec 23, 2003.

  1. mike

    mike Guest

    I'm trying to help my neighbor fix his Gateway P500 desktop.
    I pulled the 20Gig hard drive out of his Gateway machine and put it
    into my non-gateway machine (three different ones).
    The bios recognizes the drive, but it's nowhere to be found in
    Win98 or DOS.
    Ok, so I took a new drive, formatted in my machine, put it
    in the gateway, reloaded win98se then restored his backup.
    It seems to be working, so I pulled it out and stuck it
    back into my non-gateway machine to image the drive.
    The BIOS recognizes it, but it's nowhere to be found in DOS
    or win98SE.

    I've done this successfully hundreds of times with non-gateway machines.

    What the heck is going on here and how do I get the drive to work
    in both the Gateway and my non-gateway machine???

    Thanks, mike
    --
    Return address is VALID.
    Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment

    mike, Dec 23, 2003

  2. mike

    Tweek Guest

    What does Fdisk say? if it says there is a non-dos partition, it probably
    has goback on it and needs to be disabled.

    Tweek, Dec 24, 2003

  3. mike

    mike Guest

    Thanks, it does. I'll try it disabled.