hard drive diagnostic

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Nate Rosenthal, Apr 9, 2005.

  1. Is there anything available at Dell to do a diagnostic of a hard drive or do
    I need to get one from the manufaturer of the hard drive.

    Nate Rosenthal, Apr 9, 2005

  2. Nate Rosenthal

    Notan Guest

    Have a look at sites, such as:

    http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/system/fwdisktools.html

    If the freeware stuff doesn't interest you, head over to
    the shareware section.

    Notan

    Notan, Apr 9, 2005

  3. Nate Rosenthal

    Fixer Guest

    CTRL + D at the dell splash screen so long as you haven't wiped the drive to
    load the onboard diags prog

    Fixer, Apr 9, 2005
  4. The menu from hitting F12 at boot up includes an option to run disk
    diagnostics.

    Sparky Spartacus, Apr 9, 2005
  5. Nate Rosenthal

    Ben Myers Guest

    .... and other system diagnostics as well... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 9, 2005
  6. Nate Rosenthal

    Ben Myers Guest

    Dell has disk diagnostics on the diagnostic partition, but there is nothing like
    a drive manufacturer's diagnostics to supply accurate and detailed information
    about the state of the drive. (Most of) the manufacturers make them available
    via a free download. Toshiba does not, a good reason not to use Toshiba
    notebook drives... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 9, 2005
  7. Nate Rosenthal

    M Guest

    M, Apr 9, 2005
  8. ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) top-posted:
    What Ben said. Find your drive manufacturer and download the latest
    diag from them. Many of them will practically create RMAs for you.

    William P. N. Smith, Apr 10, 2005
  9. Nate Rosenthal

    pvtjohnson Guest

    After I confronted Dell with probably HD failure (within warranth) on
    Inspiron 8699, they stepped me thru some diagnostic procedures over
    the phone to confirm. So I suspect there are some useful tests.

    Since then, I've using the program Drive Health 2.0 Beta5 to monitor.

    pvtjohnson, Apr 11, 2005
  10. FWIW, I downloaded Maxtor's most recent PowerMax (4.21) when I was
    dealing with my 2 bum Maxtors - PowerMax did not report on any SATA
    drives, only the parallel ones on the EIDE interface (same result with
    Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test (DFT)).

    Sparky Spartacus, Apr 11, 2005
  11. Nate Rosenthal

    Ben Myers Guest

    Maxtor is definitely behind the power curve if Powermax does not work with SATA
    drives... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 11, 2005