    the far right. The only diagram on it shows the jumper on the 2nd set from the right side, and says "PM2 Enabled".

    I want to run this drive as Primary MASTER on my MOBO. Is the setting correct already? Its a WD1600JD.

    Thanks..

    3in4, Apr 20, 2004

  2. 3in4

    Paul Guest

    http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=958&p_created=1050530240

    "Western Digital Serial ATA drives have a jumper block located
    next to the ATA power connector. There is generally no need to
    change the default jumper setting in order to use the drive.
    The only use of this jumper block is to enable or disable power
    management for the drive. The drives ship in the default
    position with the shunt on pins 1-2 (disabled). Alternatively,
    the jumper can be removed completely with the same result.
    Placing the shunt on pins 3-4 (enabled), designates that the
    drive will power-up in standby mode. For most users the default
    position should be used."

    I guess since the SATA cable won't plug into an older motherboard,
    there is no longer support for the limit or clip jumper. As there
    is only one drive per cable, there is no notion of master/slave.
    (At the speed the data signal works, signals have to go point to
    point, and cannot be shared with more than one drive.) So, there
    isn't much to jumper anymore.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Apr 20, 2004

  3. 3in4

    DaveW Guest

    http://www.wdc.com has the pin chart for that harddrive.

    --
    DaveW

    knowledgeble on just about everything computer
    have a diagram on them to show where the jumper
    The Jumper is vertically positioned on the 2 on

    DaveW, Apr 21, 2004
  4. 3in4

    3in4 Guest

    Thanks paul. I will just leave it alone. I am about to install it in a couple hours as soon as my backup is done.
    Im wondering if I will have to do anything as far as the mobo seeing the whole drive. I have read some issues about that in
    here. I have a P4P800, I was hoping I can just plug the cables in and reboot, then install windows on it straightaway. I
    would be partitioning it into 5 drives. Do you think I will have the full 160gb available to me to partition up from the
    winxp installation screen?

    3in4, Apr 21, 2004
  5. 3in4

    Paul Guest

    Have a look back in this newsgroup for some discussions about
    large drives. There was mention of several Konwledgebase articles
    concerning the EnableBigLBA registry setting. If you have a
    recent enough install disk, or have constructed a slipstreamed
    install disk, there might in fact be nothing to do (and no registry
    entry either). With an older install disk, there is a registry
    setting that can be enabled, but that would be tough to do if
    the big disk is the install disk. Since I haven't been too
    successful helping people in the past with this, I'll leave it
    at that.

    You also have to watch it with drivers, because large disk support
    was only successfully implemented on some drivers within the last
    year.

    In any case, some advice I will give you, is to fill all partitions
    with "fake data". I like to take a 1GB file (or even take an image
    of a CD, at around 600+ MB) and duplicate that many times on the
    disk, until each partition is full. The reason this is necessary,
    is if your install isn't healthy, the first file that goes above
    the 128GB mark, will cause instant file system corruption.
    You want to make sure the disk is healthy before storing real live
    data on the drive. You can also use a checksum program, to read
    back the files and prove that the disk surface is good (the checksum
    value on all the duplicated files should be identical).

    That is what I would try, after installing the disk and partitioning
    it. I've filled and tested my last two disk drives that way, before
    putting live data on them.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Apr 21, 2004
  6. 3in4

    3in4 Guest

    Problem is, the hard drive didnt come with an install disk?

    3in4, Apr 21, 2004
  7. 3in4

    Paul Guest

    Have a look at a thread like this one from Apr19/04. (I was
    referring to slipstreaming or combining a service pack with
    a Windows OS install CDROM) -

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...roups?q=wildbill+wd1600jb&ie=ISO-8859-1&hl=en

    These KB articles are mentioned, but you should read the whole
    thread listed above anyway. It is amazing how many different
    answers there are.

    48bit LBA in Win2K -
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098

    48bit LBA in WinXP -