    deserve what I get ). But any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    TIA
    -Robert

    niteprlr, Mar 5, 2004

  2. niteprlr

    rstlne Guest

    Unplug everything except for mobo/processor/1 stick of ram/video card
    Remove the rest of the cards.. Then try to start the pc.. It's possible that
    the power supply isnt delivering enough juice to start the system

    rstlne, Mar 5, 2004

  3. niteprlr

    Rod Speed Guest

    Most likely the hard drive has just died and it presents too much
    of a load/short to the power supply so it shuts down at power
    on time when it sees the high load on the power supply.
    You do indeed. How big is the drive ? With the older
    ones you may be able to swap the logic card on the
    drive with an identical model and get the data back.
    You could slash your wrists |-(

    Rod Speed, Mar 5, 2004
  4. niteprlr

    jeff findley Guest

    Isn't it obvious? The hard drive is dead.
    We learn more from our failures than we do our successes.

    Replace the hard drive and add a CD-RW (or *something*) to the system
    to let you backup critical data. Neither component is very expensive
    these days.

    Jeff

    jeff findley, Mar 5, 2004
  5. niteprlr

    DaveW Guest

    Either the harddrive has failed, OR the IDE controller for that channel on
    the motherboard has failed.

    DaveW, Mar 6, 2004