    check and it is down to about 22 mbs. ANyone know what is going on? I
    restarted the computer and nothing has cleared up. Is there a way to
    see what is taking up so much space? I use mozilla firefox.

    Tony, Apr 18, 2011

  2. Tony

    dorayme Guest

    <
    Click on the HD icon top left of screen and View/as List. Then
    View(again)/Show View Options and tick 'Calculate' and also
    'Calculate all sizes'. Be patient (Mac OS X hates arithmetic and
    drags its feet) and much will be revealed.

    dorayme, Apr 18, 2011

  3. ZenMaster-Flash, Apr 18, 2011
  4. If you really want to save Hard Drive Space then remove the foreign
    languages that you do not use, the old PPC architecture that your
    Intel Mac does not use, etc. etc.

    You do this with Clean My Mac (the best) or Xslimmer.

    http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/30017/cleanmymac

    http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23200/xslimmer

    Typically, a Mac User will suddenly discover 2 to 12 GB of free space.

    Also if you were foolish enough to fail to customize your O.S.
    installation then you have rubbish in your Application Support Æ’older
    such as a GB or two of Garage Band junk.

    ZenMaster-Flash, Apr 18, 2011
  5. I do customer support for Agile Web Solutions, the makers of 1Password.
    Every couple of weeks or so we encounter a victim of CleanMyMac or
    AppZapper or the like having entirely removed all of their 1Password
    data, usually after a manual upgrade of 1Password.

    I cannot express how much I have come to loath those tools. When this
    has happened to someone who hasn't make backups, I am brought close to
    tears.

    -j

    Jeffrey Goldberg, Apr 18, 2011
  6. I use 1Password but learned to only use AppZapper or AppDelete
    sparingly. I do notice some passwords entered into 1Password don't
    'stick'. That is, they aren't there after I've washed my system with a
    clean-up-my-files script which I run regularly. What data files does
    1Password maintain. I may be blowing them away and it's using a backup
    and not telling me.

    Michael Vilain, Apr 18, 2011
  7.
    Jeffrey Goldberg, Apr 18, 2011
  8. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Thanks guys,

    I used the disk inventory app. And I found that the Ez-zip app for
    unarchiving was perpetually expanding a corrupted .zip file.

    Tony, Apr 18, 2011
  9. Tony

    Lewis Guest

    Yep. I've seen several of those tools over the years and they all had
    serious SERIOUS flaws.

    A 2TB USB2 drive is $100. Shut up about a couple of GB.

    Lewis, Apr 18, 2011
  10. Tony

    Howard Guest

    WhatSize.app

    www.whatsizemac.com

    Howard

    Howard, Apr 18, 2011
  11. I remember when a 20 MB SCSI drive was about $2,000.

    Michelle Steiner, Apr 18, 2011
  12. Tony

    Guest Guest

    why are you using an app for zips? that functionality is built in.

    Guest, Apr 19, 2011
  13. Tony

    John Varela Guest

    Mine is in Dropbox and I have confirmed that Time Machine backs it
    up.

    John Varela, Apr 19, 2011
  14. Tony

    Guest Guest

    That stuff cannot possibly account for his sudden loss of
    59 gigs of available space. It's a few gigs at best, and
    it doesn't suddenly show up and waste space.

    Something else is going on. Possibly some huge cache file
    or a program that's gone memory-crazy.

    Guest, Apr 19, 2011
  15. Tony

    Paul Sture Guest

    But we didn't have photos, music and videos stashed on them.

    It was mainly plain text, and all the numbers were stored as binary.

    Paul Sture, Apr 19, 2011
  16. Tony

    Paul Sture Guest

    The only time I tried Grand Perspective it blew up on me during the disk
    pass.

    Disk Inventory X works well for me:

    <http://www.derlien.com/>

    Paul Sture, Apr 19, 2011
  17. Tony

    Davoud Guest

    (Changing the topic for a moment...) I recently bought a 1Password
    Family License, Mac + Windows. Also the IOS version. Great bit of
    software.

    Davoud

    Davoud, Apr 19, 2011
  18. Thanks!

    -j

    Jeffrey Goldberg, Apr 20, 2011
  19. Tony

    Guest Guest

    After seeing so many positive mentions of 1Password here
    and elsewhere, when I saw it on sale as part of one of those
    bundles a few months ago, it was the main reason I bought
    the bundle. (A few other apps in the bundle turned out to
    be way cooler than I'd expected, but they weren't why I
    bought it). 1Password has been working like an absolute charm,
    especially as synced between computers via DropBox.

    I just bought the iPhone version today. It's pretty expensive
    for an iPhone app and I wish they'd price it a bit better,
    especially for folks who've already paid up for the desktop
    version. But again, so far, well worth it.

    Guest, Apr 20, 2011
  20. That's great. (I also picked up the same bundle, even though I had
    several of the things in it already).
    We would love to offer discounts/bundle pricing for those who buy both a
    desktop version and an iOS version, but for your protection Apple
    doesn't send developer no information about individual customers in the
    iTunes App store.

    We've talked about schemes where there would be a coupon in the app or
    having people send us their iTunes receipts to get a discount at our
    store, but it quickly gets complicated when trying to keep things fair.
    For example, if you purchase 1Password for Mac a few minutes before you
    purchase for iOS you should get the same discount if the other were the
    other way around. But issuing refunds is actually remarkably expensive
    for us. And that's just one of the issues. It gets complicated fast.

    Maybe when we manage to get 1Password for Mac into the Mac App Store
    there will be some mechanism for this. (The way that 1Password interacts
    with other bits of software and systems goes against the rules of how
    "self contained" applications need to be to qualify for the MAS, so it
    isn't clear when we will be there).

    Cheers,

    -j

    Jeffrey Goldberg, Apr 20, 2011