    the 200MB and achieve maximum capacity with Netware 3.2?

    Thanks,
    Mike McWhinney

    Mike McWhinney, Sep 24, 2003

  2. Hello Mike,

    The latest Tyan S1571 v1.06 BIOS is indeed limited to 32GB. The BIOS will
    hang early during POST when a larger drive is attached.
    A while ago I've patched the v1.06 BIOS for K6-2CXT and K6plus support, and
    I can now fix the 32GB limit bug as well. This will extend the useable drive
    size to 128GB. So running four 120GB drives on the onboard IDE ports should
    be possible.
    For even larger drives you need a PCI IDE controller extension card with a
    BIOS that supports the new 46-bit IDE interface.

    I'm unsure if Netware 3.2 supports drives over 128GB (the limit may even be
    lower). I far as I know, only Win2000+SP3, WinXP+SP1, and Linux (kernel
    2.4.x ?) support IDE drives over 128GB.

    Please send me an e-mail if you want the patched S1571 BIOS with 128GB IDE
    support.

    For more info on my patched socket 7 BIOS project, see
    http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

    Jan.

    Jan Steunebrink, Sep 25, 2003

  3. I don't think Netware is going to care what the BIOS see or does. The
    only possible issue would be if you're trying to boot off the drive and the
    BIOS can't access the entire boot partition.

    DS

    David Schwartz, Sep 27, 2003
  4. I think the motherboard does play into it here. Or at least I think it
    does.
    We have a Seagate 40GB IDE hard drive, and it is set up as normal in
    the BIOS (as it should be for Netware installs). Netware only sees
    32GB, so apparently there is a problem with the Netware/Tyan
    motherboard combination.

    We are going to simply get a Promise Ultra133 TX2 IDE controller,
    which supports 48 bit addressing (2.81 TB max). This will solve our
    problems.

    Mike McWhinney, Sep 28, 2003