    What are considered reliable drive is the 1.5 to 2.0 tb range?

    How can one tell if the drive actually has a manufacturer warranty?

    Thanks in advance,

    Guest, Sep 29, 2010

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Did WD honor the warranty? I know to avoid the OEM keyword, but does
    "Bare Drive" also mean no real warranty?

    I just realized my new machine has SAS connectors. Is SAS better enough
    than SATA to be worth it?

    Thanks again,

    Guest, Sep 29, 2010

  3. Guest

    Ben Myers Guest

    Time to take newegg to task for false advertising???? Looks like newegg
    sold you an OEM drive bought surplus from a computer assembler (I can't
    call them manufacturers any more.), else it would truly carry the 5-year
    warranty.

    The only way to find out the warranty on the drive is to have the drive
    in hand and to check the warranty status for the drive's serial number.
    You can do so for WD and Seagate. Not sure about Hitachi and Samsung,
    just about the only other ones left in the hard drive game.

    Bare drives carry a warranty just like drives sold in retail "kits" at
    Best Buy, Walmart, Frys, etc. I buy bare drives all the time from my
    distributor. And yes, they have a proper warranty... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 29, 2010
  4. Hi!
    Was this a a "factory repaired" drive by any chance? If so, Newegg's
    30 day return policy is all it ever had...been there, done that with a
    80GB Seagate. I sure won't do it again. That drive was dead in the
    box.

    (You win some, you lose some. A recertified Hitachi drive bought
    around the same time is still working well.)

    Some Seagate drives from the timeframe of which you speak were well
    known for having a firmware defect that rendered the drive
    inaccessible when a certain counter rolled over. There were firmware
    updates for this.
    I have been very happy as of late with Samsung's hard drives, but of
    the Hitachi, Western Digital and Seagate ones that I have also used,
    all of them have done fine as well.
    If the drive is truly new, it should have a factory warranty. Newegg
    does sell remanufactured and recertified drives. Every time I've seen
    one offered, it was fairly clearly labeled as such. "OEM" or "bare"
    drives may also be in a grey area as far as warranty coverage goes.

    Seagate has a serial number check utility and I suspect other drive
    makers do as well. The only problem there is that you'd have to buy a
    drive and check it later.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Sep 29, 2010
  5. ....and while on the subject, I was also going to say...

    Have you considered a copy of GRC's SpinRite software to go with your
    hard drives?

    I've had one for a few years now and would have to say that it is well
    worth the price. Although success rates have varied, I have seen it
    pull off some true miracles with troubled drives. It's also good for
    "certifying" a drive before you put it into service.

    I say this as nothing more than a satisfied customer. I have no
    relation to the company or its products.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Sep 29, 2010
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I sent them an email about it. I suppose I should have written
    a review about it. The drive description had nothing about OEM
    on the website. However the drive itself says OEM on it (I did not
    notice when I installed it).

    I guess I will look at the drive itself next time, and return to
    Newegg if it is OEM.

    Guest, Sep 30, 2010
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Nope, new drive, described as Bare Drive. The drive itself says
    OEM on it, so it is all on Newegg, not Seagate.
    I checked that at the time, and again right now. No update for my
    drive.
    Just about all they sell are bare drives. Ben Myers says they should
    be under warranty if not OEM.
    But if it is in the 30-day newegg period it should still be returnable
    to them. It might break them of the habit (if habit it is) of selling
    OEM drives as if they have a real warranty.

    Thanks,

    Guest, Sep 30, 2010
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have heard a lot of good things about it, and finally got a copy
    today. It does not seem to work on my system, and despite version
    6.0 being released in 2004, there is still not a manual for it.

    It did not seem to be able to figure out anything about my standard
    SATA drives, and would not allow me to start any analysis of them.

    Do you know if anyone has created a 3rd party manual for the software?

    Thanks,

    Guest, Sep 30, 2010
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    The problem is likely to be AHCI. It is too late now, but I have to
    see if my BIOS has a legacy SATA mode. That does not ring a bell, so
    I am afraid that spinrite will not work on this box. There is a
    grc.spinrite newsgroup, but my server does not carry it (hopefully
    that will be fixed by tomorrow). Meanwhile reading a read only
    version of the group on the web, they do not have any current plans
    to update SpinRite to handle AHCI controllers.

    Oh well,

    Guest, Sep 30, 2010
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hooray, there is a legacy mode! Is the bottom item likely to work for
    me?

    * RAID Autodetect / AHCI = RAID if signed drives, otherwise AHCI
    * RAID Autodetect / ATA= RAID if signed drives, otherwise ATA
    * RAID On / ATA= SATA is configured for RAID on every boot
    * Legacy = The hard drive controller is configured for legacy mode

    Thanks,

    Guest, Sep 30, 2010
  11. Guest

    Ben Myers Guest

    That ain't no habit! That's false advertising, breaking federal law on
    an interstate transaction... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 30, 2010