  1. napol

    napol Guest

    scsi or not?

    napol, Feb 11, 2004

  2. | scsi or not?

    Just my personal preference, but unless you are running a server or don't
    mind spending the extra money or already have the controller card, I would
    get a good IDE or, if your board has the support, SATA drive.

    Jason Cothran, Feb 11, 2004

  3. napol

    Ben Pope Guest

    Depends what you want to do, but for anything other than a server with very
    high I/O, I'd say not.

    If you want a fast drive, look at the WD Raptors, especially the new 74GB
    one, which has many of the features of a SCSI drive (including the price :)

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Feb 11, 2004
  4. napol

    Anonymous Guest

    SCSI used to be much faster than IDE. But now, IDE has ATA-133 and
    speed is not much of an issue anymore. However, IDE still limited you
    to 4 devices. If you have 1 CD/DVD drive and you can only have 3 IDE
    drives. If that is enough for you than go with IDE because the drives
    are much cheaper. But, if you need more drives to setup stripes/mirror,
    you would have to go with SCSI. The SCSI drives and controller are not
    cheap.

    Anonymous, Mar 4, 2004
  5. No, you just put in another ide-card.
    I have 4 drives, 1 cd-burner, 1 dvd-burner and 1 dvd-rom in one machine.
    Even the cables are expensive!

    Peter Strömberg, Mar 4, 2004
  6. napol

    Ben Pope Guest

    Hmm. The reason SCSI drives are fast is because they are better drives.
    The drives run at 10K RPM and 15K RPM, how many ATA drives do that? I can
    tell you... 2. Both WD Raptors. The Raptors are the only ATA drives that
    will perform like SCSI - especially the 74GB one with TCQ (tagged command
    queuing)
    Or, if you have to have more drives, go with an additional ATA controller
    and ATA drives... they're cheap. :)

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Mar 5, 2004