    What is the best cabling hook up for best performance?

    Thanks,
    Jim

    jime, May 19, 2005

  2. jime

    Paul Guest

    P4C800-E Deluxe

    Southbridge
    Pri IDE Optical plus EIDE 133
    Sec IDE Optical plus EIDE 100
    SATA1 Raptor
    SATA2 <none>

    Promise 20378 (set to non-RAID; use "ATA" driver)
    SATA_RAID1 <none>
    SATA_RAID2 <none>
    PRI_RAID EIDE 100 plus EIDE 100

    Optical drives are not supported on the 20378.

    Place most frequently used hard drives on the Southbridge.
    Consider moving the data off the EIDE 100 drives onto the
    200GB drive - fewer spindles will be more reliable and
    a bit more quiet.

    The only thing to watch, is that Promise controller. I
    prepped a drive on another interface, and when I plugged
    into the Promise PRI_RAID, the first partition on my disk
    was "invisible". It might not hurt to back up the drives
    you plan on placing on the Promise controller first, just
    in case. I have no reservations about the Southbridge
    interfaces - they seem to work OK.

    I use Partition Magic to move stuff around - but since
    Powerquest was bought out, I don't know what to recommend
    as a good product.

    If it was my computer, I would use the two opticals,
    Raptor for boot disk, and 200GB as sole data disk.
    All of that will fit on the Southbridge.

    Paul

    Paul, May 20, 2005