harddrives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by martin speirs, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. can anyone tell me how many harddrives can you have in one system and
    do they have be the same size.

    martin speirs, Jan 19, 2004

  2. martin speirs

    Ron Cook Guest

    Ron Cook, Jan 19, 2004

  3. martin speirs

    Linuxgeek Guest

    The estimate of power consumption that I use when building is 20 Watts,
    for a standard hard drive, either IDE or SCSI, unless something higher
    is posted on the drive label or the website. There is a difference in
    power useage, for a drive upon startup (surge), vs. one running (or,
    idle). Some Operating Systems have options to delay the start-up of
    hard drives...

    Much good info in the book "Building and Repairing Your PC"

    Linuxgeek, Jan 19, 2004
  4. martin speirs

    MiketheMan Guest

    Also, you may want to consider external / removable hard drives. They
    often connect through a usb port. Computers made within the last four
    years or so often come with around four to eight usb ports, allowing
    for four to eight extra hard drives. For older computers without usb
    ports (or just another option), there are external hard dives that
    connect through serial ports. Though external hard drives are usually
    more expensive than traditional IDE or PCI hard drives, they offer
    mobility.

    MiketheMan, Jan 19, 2004
  5. martin speirs

    DaveW Guest

    It depends on the design of the motherboard you're using. A 'typical'
    motherboard can use up to four harddrives, if you don't use any CD_ROMs or
    DVDs.

    DaveW, Jan 20, 2004
  6. martin speirs

    dbData Guest

    You can have up to 128 USB devices. In theory, 128 Hard Drives. You'd have
    to crazy to try, but it's supposed to be possible.
    IDE - 2 devices per channel: Ron's right, in his post.
    SCSI - 14 devices per channel. Some variations of SCSI are said to be
    limitless.
    I haven't messed with SATA enough to know. Anyone out there know?
    Could also consider other forms of connections to the PC like Ethernet.(SAN,
    NAS).

    Power, Space and Money are the only real limits.

    dbData

    dbData, Jan 23, 2004