    within a month or two). Right now I have a Dimension 4550 with a Nvidia 64 MB
    GeForce4 MX video card and CD R/W. I know I have to buy a DVD burner, but what
    else will I need to accomplish this task?

    Alan S. Wales, Jan 19, 2004

  2. Alan S. Wales

    Dick Guest

    You will need a way to get the audio/video into your computer. I use
    the ATI All-In-Wonder 9000 video card in my 4500. You will also need
    a DVD burner and the appropriate software of which there are many. I
    use Roxio's Easy CD & DVD Creator 6.

    Dick

    Dick, Jan 19, 2004

  3. Alan S. Wales

    joe_tide Guest

    joe_tide, Jan 19, 2004
  4. Alan S. Wales, Jan 20, 2004
  5. Alan S. Wales

    Ray Setzer Guest

    I typically recommend that casual users go and get something like the little
    Dazzle Video Creator. You can pick it up at places like Best Buy for about
    $80 or less. Yes, you could purchase a new video capture card for the
    purpose, but I usually hesitate to give the casual user advice that requires
    they open up the computer.

    Also, you don't technically need a DVD burner. It is possible to create what
    is known as Video CD's. Most DVD players will play these. There are two
    basic type of Video CD. VCD and SVCD. VCD is lower quality, a notch below
    VHS tapes on average, and you can put about an hour onto a CD. SVCD can be
    of very good quality. However, the higher the quality, the more space
    needed. I'd say you can put at least a half hour of very good quality SVCD
    video into a CDrom. (However that quality will never be greater that what it
    already is on the original VHS tape.
    Heres a link to the products. (I've never actually used it, so cannot speak
    to its how well it might or might not work)
    http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPage_n.asp?Product_ID=1427&Langue_ID=7

    In summary, your best choices are either to get something like this little
    Dazzle thing, which just plugs into a USB port, or to get a video capture
    card (which will probably include basic video editing software) And for your
    output, if you buy a DVD burner, fine and dandy, but thats not absolutely
    necessary. Home movies can live on CDroms just fine.

    Ray Setzer, Jan 20, 2004
  6. "Ray Setzer"
    That's OK. I'm comfortable opening up my computer.
    Thanks. That's good info. I could be burning video CD's with my present drive
    system. I did not know that.
    That Dazzle device appears to do everything I want it to but I wonder about the
    capabilities of the included video editing software. I've got some more
    research to do. Thanks again.

    Alan S. Wales, Jan 20, 2004