    but nothing works. I went into system to see if there was an Interrupt
    conflict but couldn't see anything wrong there either. Does anyone have
    a suggestion?

    dro, Jun 8, 2006

  2. Sounds like its fried the PCI Express Video Card, i'd suggest testing
    with a different PCI-X card or RMA'ing the card

    criticalimpact, Jun 8, 2006

  3. dro

    Paul Guest

    The pinout for a PCI Express slot is shown here:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/11/22/sli_is_coming/page2.html
    http://images.tomshardware.com/2004/11/22/sli_is_coming/pcie-slot-big.gif

    I don't see what the cards could be sharing in common - maybe the
    wake- signal (wake = PME ?) ? It is hard to see, how too high a voltage
    signal, would get from the PCI slot, to a PCI Express slot. I don't even
    see an interrupt signal on the pinout. (Presumably interrupts are
    in-band on the PCI Express ?)

    I guess it is warranty return time, for your video card. And don't plug
    that modem in again :) Maybe a USB modem would be a bit safer.

    I trust you were adding and removing hardware, with the computer
    powered off or unplugged. If the green LED is lit on the motherboard,
    when adding or removing hardware, then stuff can get damaged. That
    would make more sense.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 8, 2006
  4. dro

    dro Guest

    I did unplug the computer before adding the modem. Because PCI Express
    is fairly new technology none of my friends have this type of video so
    I can't check my video card out. I did however get a good deal on
    another ASUS A8N-Sli motherboard, so now I will have a backup (when it
    arrives) and something to work with. I appreciate the speed of the dual
    core CPU's anyway so starting a second system seems like a good idea.

    I don't know why there is conflict with internal modems and PCI Express
    but I definitely recommend to everyone to only use external USB or
    serial modems. Someone advised me to take out the CMOS battery to reset
    the CMOS. I haven't had time to do that yet but I will try that out and
    let you know what I learned. It seems that this could be a potentially
    big problem.

    Thanks, Dro

    dro, Jun 10, 2006