Has anybody else had problems with a Toshiba Sat PSAE6C-TH70DC clicking off?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Casey Hawthorne, Feb 12, 2009.

  1. Has anybody else had problems with a Toshiba Sat PSAE6C-TH70DC
    clicking off?

    Casey Hawthorne, Feb 12, 2009

  2. Casey Hawthorne

    BillW50 Guest

    In Casey Hawthorne typed on Thu, 12 Feb 2009 12:15:00 -0800:
    What do you mean? The display going dark? Or the whole thing powers
    down?

    --
    Bill
    2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2

    BillW50, Feb 13, 2009

  3. Sorry!

    I could have been more clear.

    The entire laptop goes off.

    I imagine the click is the hard drive heads being pulled to the side.

    More complete description:

    I bought a Toshiba laptop in September 2007.

    It started clicking off in January 2008.

    Sometimes it would be OK for two weeks, then click off.

    Sometimes I would be able to turn it back on in two hours, other
    times, I could turn it back on the next day.

    Then the click offs seemed to happen more regularly.

    In February 2008, the store replaced the motherboard but it had bent
    pins in the SD-Card slot. Actually the first one they sent was
    defective, so the second replacement had bent SD-Card slot pins.

    They replaced the motherboard again, but the bluetooth did not work.

    Again, they replaced the motherboard, but the bluetooth still did not
    work.

    That was FOUR replacement motherboards.

    Then in May, I believe, they gave me a second laptop of the exact same
    model.

    I contacted Toshiba and got a six month extension on the warranty
    until April 2009.

    NOW:

    In January 2009, the second laptop has clicked off on me four times
    and I took it into the store.

    They knew I was frustrated and so they gave me a loaner Toshiba
    laptop, a more recent model.

    They haved had the laptop for about three weeks and it has not
    clicked off while they have stress tested it.

    The computer manager wants me to bring the loaner back and use the
    "defective" laptop and when it clicks off and bring it in immediately.

    However, the machine clicks off so suddenly that there is nothing
    useful in the event logs, so their technician says.

    All, the machine "knows", is that Windows has shut done improperly.

    I'd like to keep this "loaner" laptop.

    I think a cow patty with a keyboard and screen would be more reliable
    than that old laptop.

    Old laptop:

    Toshiba Sat
    Model # PSAE6C-TH70DC

    Casey Hawthorne, Feb 14, 2009
  4. Casey Hawthorne

    BillW50 Guest

    In Casey Hawthorne typed on Fri, 13 Feb 2009 16:13:31 -0800:
    Oh Casey! What a mess! Well it could be a manufacturing defect. Although
    let's assume for a second that it isn't. I would run it without the
    battery and see if the problem goes away. Then I would switch and just
    run it on the battery and see if that helps.

    When it shuts down (yes it sounds like the hard drive heads are parking)
    and won't start up again. Remove the AC and the battery for about 10
    seconds and then reapply. Does it start now?

    I'm thinking the problem is (besides a possibility of a defect in
    manufacturing of the motherboard) either a defective battery, AC
    adapter, hard drive, CD drive, RAM, or other device. As something is
    overheating and/or suddenly drawing too much power and shutting the
    system down.

    After four motherboards, they should give you a whole new working
    computer. That is a shame they haven't done so yet.

    BillW50, Feb 14, 2009
  5. Sorry!

    I could have been more clear.

    The entire laptop goes off.

    I imagine the click is the hard drive heads being pulled to the side.

    More complete description:

    I bought a Toshiba laptop in September 2007.

    It started clicking off in January 2008.

    Sometimes it would be OK for two weeks, then click off.

    Sometimes I would be able to turn it back on in two hours, other
    times, I could turn it back on the next day.

    Then the click offs seemed to happen more regularly.

    MORE CLEAR:

[...]

    So, Bill, they did give me a new laptop but it was of the exact same
    model.

    Casey Hawthorne, Feb 14, 2009
  6. Casey Hawthorne

    BillW50 Guest

    In Casey Hawthorne typed on Sat, 14 Feb 2009 12:35:44 -0800:
    That is sure a sad story Casey. I hope they sure get things satisfactory
    for you soon.

    BillW50, Feb 17, 2009
  7. YAY!

    London Drugs and Toshiba came through after extended discussions
    between London Drugs and Toshiba, I now get to keep the "loaner
    laptop", Toshiba Sat A350-00X P7350, as a permanent laptop.

    YAY!

    It is not the HAL 9000 from "2001 Space Odyssey" but it is still much
    better than the Toshiba Sat PSAE6C-TH70DC.

    Thank you Toshiba and London Drugs.

    It might be an idea for a central London Drugs store in Vancouver to
    keep a couple of older generation laptops around for just such
    extended loaner situations.

    However, at this time I'm glad they didn't have such a policy in place
    and now have a much better machine.

    :)

    Casey Hawthorne, Mar 7, 2009
  8. Casey Hawthorne

    BillW50 Guest

    That is great news Casey! And thanks for the update! ;)

    In Casey Hawthorne typed on Sat, 07 Mar 2009 11:07:00 -0800:

    BillW50, Mar 7, 2009
  9. When I picked up the new demo loaner as permanent laptop, there were
    keyboard marks and a whitish area in the lower right hand corner of
    the screen.

    I was to afraid at that time to take it back to London Drugs to have
    it looked at, in case they repossessed the machine, and I got stuck
    with another A200 "lime".

    I just took it in last week, and they have now replaced the screen.

    YAY!

    Toshiba and London Drugs.

    Casey Hawthorne, Oct 15, 2009
  10. Casey Hawthorne

    BillW50 Guest

    In Casey Hawthorne typed on Thu, 15 Oct 2009 14:28:12 -0700:
    Bill who? Me?

    BillW50, Oct 15, 2009