    Anyone else heard this..

    Not too much of a problem as a new machine is less than the maintenance
    cost.

    Mark, Sep 29, 2004

  2. Well, they stopped selling the S5 perhaps 5 years ago or more?

    (U1s arrived in '96 and fairly quickly took over; the SS20 lived
    a bit longer, perhaps)

    Casper

    Casper H.S. Dik, Sep 29, 2004

  3. Mark

    Scott Howard Guest

    http://www.sun.com/service/support/eosl/index.html

    SS5's support officially ended 31 December 2003 - they have obviously
    given you an extention due to the fact that a mistake was made.

    Scott.

    Scott Howard, Sep 29, 2004
  4. Mark

    Scott Howard Guest

    September 1998.
    Nope, the SS5 was around for longer than the SS20 - mainly due to it's
    use as the SSP on E10Ks I think (it wasn't replaced as the prefered
    SSP hardware until after the U5 was released).

    Scott.

    Scott Howard, Sep 29, 2004
  5. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Interestingly enough though , they still do maintenance on the Sparc 2....

    Mark, Sep 29, 2004
  6. Mark

    Glenn Guest

    + On 29-Sep-04 16:59:02

    Afaik that is for special reasons, there are SBUS hardware that are used in
    very special applications, maybe military, therefore Sun "have to" maintain
    at least one desktop machine with SBUS, and Ultra2 is the last and best SBUS
    machine.. (desktop that is, ofcoz some Enterprise machines have SBUS too.)

    Someone told me that you still can buy Ultra2's from Sun.. I havn't checked.

    Glenn, Sep 30, 2004
  7. Mark

    Rich Teer Guest

    The OP said "Sparc[station] 2", not Ultra 2. The SS2 was Sun's top desktop
    prior to the introduction of the SPARCstation 10 (not to be confused with
    the Ultra 10!) in 1992 or thereabouts.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA, author of "Solaris Systems Programming",
    published in August 2004.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Teer, Sep 30, 2004
  8. There are third party hardware maintenance companies that will be glad
    to support your Sparc 5 if the OEM refuses to maintain that system.
    It would be a lot less expensive to get a third party contract than
    to buy a new machine.

    sunhw.com has a list of third party hardware maintenance companies that
    support Sun equipment. Please visit:

    http://www.sunhw.com

    sunhw.com can email your quote request for Sparc 5 maintenance to the
    third party companies. This is a free service.

    Thanks.

    3PHW.com LLC

    Third Party Hardware, Oct 1, 2004
  9. Mark

    Scott Howard Guest

    I think the original poster was talking about SS2's not Ultra2's.

    SS2's are no longer supported, and haven't been for a _long_ time.

    Support for Ultra 2's has _nothing_ to do with anything you've stated, but
    has everything to do with the fact that they are not yet 5 years past EOL.
    U2's were EOLed in August 2000, and thus will be supported until at least
    August 2005.

    Scott

    Scott Howard, Oct 1, 2004
  10. Mark

    Andre Guest

    Huh? If I had to support a critical SS5, I'd just by two or three spare
    SS5s (at around $10 each? tops?) and keep them stashed away for a rainy
    day. Nice and easy.

    Andre, Oct 2, 2004
  11. Mark

    Glenn Guest

    + On 30-Sep-04 22:12:01
    Oops, you're right.. then I agree that it's strange.. would be fun to know
    what the reason is then.

    Glenn, Oct 2, 2004
  12. It would be a lot less expensive to get a third party contract than
    It is not clear what Mark meant by "new" machine.

    If by "new" he meant a brand new system with a warranty that could be
    added to his SunSpectrum contract (for example a Blade100), then a
    third party maintenance contract would be less expensive.

    If by "new" he meant a used SS5 then that is a different story.
    However this person had the SS5 covered by a maintenance contract for
    a reason instead of using spare SS5s.

    Here is an article that explores the issues of doing self maintenance
    and getting a maintenance contract:

    http://www.3phw.com/faq/faq.shtml

    Thanks.

    3PHW.com LLC

    Third Party Hardware, Oct 2, 2004
  13. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hi people,

    The reason my company has all items under contract is so we don't have to
    worry about fixing them!

    We have sorted out what is happening a bit. Sun have given us maintenance on
    the Sparc5 until End of 2004.
    The other items, some are still within the Sun EOSL, whilst one is about 5
    years after, but Sun still provide support due to M.O.D. contracts.

    Ta.

    Mark

    Mark, Oct 4, 2004
  14. Mark

    Josh McKee Guest

    From a hardware perspective it's highly likely that you could purchase
    several complete replacement Sparc 5 systems for considerably less than
    the price of a maintenance contract. I hope that you're getting more
    than just hardware coverage with the maintenance contract.

    Josh

    Josh McKee, Oct 8, 2004
  15. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Yup, Full 4 hour response onsite hardware and software maintenance.
    This means that if we have a problem, all we do is log it and Sun deal with
    it.

    No rebuilding machines, no putting in a replacement machine to find it is
    already faulty.
    Peace of mind.

    On the other hand though... we are phasing out all our Sun kit, as it is far
    too expensive and the TCO is far too much.

    Also it is far too slow, even the new Sparc IV is slower than a P4!

    So, we are migrating to RedHat Linux and HP Xeons.
    Every new machine we buy is faster than the previous one!
    Unlike the Sun's where every new machine you buy is the same as the last
    one.

    Sorry Sun, But I promise that if Sun ever produce a processor capable of
    being faster than a 3Ghz Xeon on Floating point... then our company will
    start investing in Sun again.
    ( This does not include the Opteron, as Sun's one is just a rebadged clone.)

    Mark

    Mark, Oct 8, 2004
  16. So, why don't you just buy Xeon and/or Opteron machines and run Solaris on
    them instead of RH Linux?

    Dragan

    --
    Dragan Cvetkovic,

    Dragan Cvetkovic, Oct 8, 2004
  17. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Because nowt runs on Solaris x86.

    Software used is: Mentor Graphics, Synopsys, Matlab, Calibre etc...

    And, all the major software manufacturers are saying that they are moving
    over to RedHat Linux as being the Major O/S of choice when creating
    software.

    Mark, Oct 8, 2004
  18. Mark

    Josh McKee Guest

    I hear you. For the low end / entry level Sun is difficult to justify. I
    replaced a couple of E250's with IBM x86 systems running RedHat a few
    years ago. I've been very pleased with that decision.

    Josh

    < snip >

    Josh McKee, Oct 8, 2004
  19. Mark

    Rich Teer Guest

    I'm not surprised, given how much you're paying for supporting
    such old kit!
    In some tasks, yes. But not for others.
    That's funny: RHEL is MORE expensive that Solaris x86. Great way
    to lower your TCO!
    Um, I don't think Sun's new Opteron servers are anything like even
    their Xeon-based LX50.
    So's your HP Xeon based machine; what's your point? And the next
    generation of Sun Opteron machines (from Andy B) is likely to be
    anything but a rebadged clone.

    Rich Teer, Oct 8, 2004
  20. Mark

    Mark Guest

    ....Even for the new kit!

    Unfortunately for us we need fast floating point and Integer calculations
    and the Sparc
    chip cannot provide it.

    But Solaris x86 is not supported by any real software applications..
    Bit late now...

    Mark, Oct 8, 2004