Has anyone gotten their OS Disk from Dell recently?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Laura, Apr 22, 2005.

  1. Laura

    Laura Guest

    Has anyone gotten their OS Disk from Dell recently? I'm not having much
    luck.

    I called yesterday and got some dude from India. Not a pleasant conversation
    at all. He insisted that their policy had changed in November and that they
    no longer provide the disk. I explained that I knew several people that had
    received their disks recently (this is based solely on the info in this
    newsgroup).

    I then tried to get a supervisor. He still was not very cooperative and it
    was not until I said that if he did not get me a supervisor immediately that
    I would be returning the 2 laptops. He relented and got me a supervisor.
    This person was definitely not Indian. He explained that ONLY Tech Support
    can provide that disk. I said fine but then your phone support needs to be
    trained to pass folks over to tech support when asked for the disk. He
    apologised for the other tech. Then he tried transfering me to Tech support
    but because the queues were too long the recorded message said to call later
    and I was disconnected.

    I decided to try their chat but that did not go any better. The wait time
    was 3 minutes but as the app finished loading I would get "page not found".
    A refresh started the app again. I finally gave up.

    Any suggestions from folks that have been sucessfull getting their disk
    sent? What was your exact reason for requesting the disk? Maybe if we are
    consistant in our reason then Dell might reconsider their new policy.

    I am very frustrated at this and don't really know what to do next so any

    TIA,
    laura

    Laura, Apr 22, 2005

  2. Laura

    ubr Guest

    I just bought a Dell. Forget getting a Disk out them. The were forced
    to adopt the "no disk" policy because of MS's greed.

    You better either learn how to use the full ASR(?) backup in your
    Dell, or buy a drive imaging program like Acronis True image, or spend
    a few hundred+ to buy the OS from MS. This is what MS wants: screw the
    customer and force them to spend an additional couple of hundred
    buying what should have been given to them in the first place.

    Those are your choices. Life is too short to aggravate the hell outta
    yourself trying to beat professional crooks like Gates and Dell.

    ubr, Apr 22, 2005

  3. Laura

    Laura Guest

    I don't agree that we have to accept this policy. I also don't think that it
    is MS's fault but rather it is Dell trying to cut costs. I've paid plenty
    for these laptops and the decent thing for Dell to do is to provide the disk
    for which I have a license for. Having a backup/recovery disk does you no
    good if the hard drive fails. And I am not going to be forced into buying a
    Dell drive with a new copy of XP if my current drive fails. But that is
    exactly what is being proposed. I want my disk and folks have gotten them
    recently. I just need some assistance on how to get it.

    Laura, Apr 22, 2005
  4. Laura

    ubr Guest

    That is exactly what they tell everyone.

    As far as being Dell's fault, as someone else has said on this subject
    in another post, Dell is in a much more competitive market than is MS.
    Dell can't price their computers well above their myriad competitors
    without losing sales. As for MS, they have *no* competition worth
    mentioning.

    With Dell it's a matter of survival; with MS, it's a matter of
    unjustified greed.

    ubr, Apr 22, 2005
  5. Laura

    BigJIm Guest

    I received the OS disk and drivers after making a valid argument,
    if you just ask for the disks they will not send them. Ask them this,
    When the warranty expires and my hard drive goes bad is Dell going
    to force me to buy a Hard Drive from them and are they going to charge me
    for the OS to be installed on it. Whatever he says disagree, say you say
    that now but what about 3 or 4 years down the road. Also ask them if they
    would like the machine
    back under the 30 return policy. Explain to them you have the right to
    purchase
    a hard drive from anyone and you have already paid to use the OS for as long
    as you
    own the machine. Hey, and what if I decide to upgrade my hard drive to a
    larger one, do I have to buy it from Dell. Jeesssssss use your imagination.

    BigJIm, Apr 22, 2005
  6. Laura

    BigJIm Guest

    Whatever dell you have go to their site and download all the drivers for it
    and put it in a safe place,
    if you know someone with a Dell computer who has an OS disk you can copy it
    and use it for a reinstall, just use the xp cd key attached to your system.

    BigJIm, Apr 22, 2005
  7. Laura

    joe_tide Guest

    I'm going through that exact same thing right now. I emailed tech support.
    The first response was not at all related to what I asked for. I replied and
    asked if anyone else wanted to give this request a shot. The next email said
    they will send the OS disk to me. We will see.

    Here's a brief synopsis of the emails if interested:

    ***************
    Problem Description:

    I did not receive an OS CD with my latest purchase as I have with past
    orders.

    Since this machine is one which will be used by various people for
    fundraising purposes we will be formatting and re-installing the OS
    quarterly. Please supply the Operating System CD.

    ***************

    Thank you for contact Dell Technical Support. We look forward to working
    with you to resolve your technical issue.

    I understand the issue that you must be experiencing with the
    operating system CD.

    For information on this please refer to the attachment that I wish to
    forward to you.

    Thank you for contacting Dell.

    Respectfully,
    Neeraj
    Dell Rep # DD5135

    THE ATTACHMENT EXPLAINED HOW TO RESET THE DRIVERS

    ***************

    Original Message Follows:
    ------------------------
    Does anyone else want to take a shot at this?

    ****************

    Thank you for contacting Dell Technical Support.

    I apologize for the problems you have encountered with your Dell system.
    We appreciate the opportunity to work with you to resolve the situation.

    I have submitted a request to ship the necessary replacement CD to you .

    Service Call Number: 57145315

    Thank you for contacting Dell.

    Respectfully,
    Navneet
    Badge ID CB1736

    joe_tide, Apr 22, 2005
  8. Laura

    Laura Guest

    I was given the link to the drivers page by a friend. I will be downloading
    the drivers over the weekend. I will also make the restore CD as a backup
    too.
    At the moment I don't know anyone else with a new Dell with xp pro sp2
    installed. I wondered if that was an option. I think any OEM install disk
    will work with my CD key, IIRC. That's what my computer tech did last summer
    when the HD failed on my old laptop. I did not have the disk with me at the
    time so he used one of his own. I'll check with him next month when we are
    in his area.

    Laura, Apr 22, 2005
  9. Microsoft does not dictate whether Dell or any other OEM provides a CD.
    That is strictly a choice Dell has made to save a few pennies.
    Microsoft may be guilty of some things, but no CD is 99% dells fault.
    The 1% can go to Microsoft because that is one of the many options given to
    the OEMs.
    But it was Dell who made the choice on behalf of their customers.

    Jupiter Jones, Apr 22, 2005
  10. Laura

    Laura Guest

    That's my feeling too. I called Microsoft yesterday and was told that the
    option to provide end customers with a CD is up to the OEM. It is purely a
    cost cutting measure. Dell is banking (literally) on most clueless customers
    not calling and requesting their previously provided CDs.

    Laura, Apr 22, 2005
  11. Laura

    Tom Scales Guest

    While I do not understand why Dell doesn't offer it at as a cost-based
    upgrade, the reality is that the margins are so thing that the big OEMs
    almost have to do this in the comsumer space. An extra $5 is huge when
    you're barely making money. People demand $399 computers, with all retains
    parts, includign the OS, and lifetime toll-free support whenthey screw
    something up.

    It can't be done.

    This isn't a pro-Dell statement, as it applies to all the majors, just a
    fact. It's comical, in some ways, like the people that start out their
    posts:

    "I formatted the drive and install Windows 3.11 on my new Dell 8400 and Dell
    won't support me. Those crooks!"

    replace Windows 3.11 with the non-standard operating system of your choice.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 22, 2005
  12. Laura

    BigJIm Guest

    if they said they will send it, they will.
    sent mine overnight air. I should mention that it was a laptop it was for
    and one of the more pricey ones.

    BigJIm, Apr 22, 2005
  13. Laura

    Notan Guest

    What division did you purchase from?

    As I posted, in a different thread, Dell *is* giving Small Business
    (and higher, I assume) purchasers the option of receiving an OS CD.

    It kinda sucks if Home purchasers aren't being offered the same.

    Notan

    Notan, Apr 22, 2005
  14. Laura

    Laura Guest

    I personally would not have a problem paying an extra $5 for the OS or
    Drivers CD if it was made available. The fact that Dell does not bother to
    tell anyone and makes it difficult to obtain is the frustrating part. I
    supect that they just spent way more than $5 in tech support today alone on
    my request. I have been on the phone with the tech on and off for the past 2
    hours. 3 separate phone calls. I'm sure she is paid more than $5 per hour.
    So where is the savings there?

    I do understand the cost cutting issues and what companies do when desparate
    to save money.

    Laura, Apr 22, 2005
  15. Laura

    Laura Guest

    I spent 30 minutes on the phone with Tech support. I had other questions
    about some of the misc software installed on the machine. I figured I'd get
    a feel for her attitude while I had her on the line first. She answered my
    questions - poorly I might add. I then *hit* her with the primary question.
    I said that I was told by another supervisor to call tech support to request
    the disk. She started to tell me about the restore utility. I said that I
    was aware of the utility but in the event that the drive needed to be
    replaced that the restore disk was useless. She checked with her supervisor
    and I am waiting for her to call back with the service request numbers.

    She just called back to confirm our mailing address. While on the phone, she
    asked me if I had the driver CD. I said no and she offered to send that too.
    I guess we just have to know to ask for the disks. I now have 4 dispatch
    numbers to receive 2 OS and 2 Driver CDs for our laptops.

    Laura, Apr 22, 2005
  16. Laura

    Laura Guest

    Hi Notan. Your name is familiar from another newsgroup. Quicken/Quickbooks,
    right?

    I ordered from the Home division. Maybe we should think about Small business
    next time but who knows what shape they will be in by the time we need to
    upgrade. All 3 of us have machines that are less than a year old so it will
    be a few years.

    Yes, it is a shame that Home and Business customers are getting treated
    differently. Hopefully it won't hurt Dell in the long run. Its bad enough
    that our tech support is in India.

    Laura, Apr 22, 2005
  17. Laura

    Ted Zieglar Guest

    If I may interject with an opinion here....and remember, it's only my
    opinion:

    I believe that the great majority of Home purchasers either have no clue
    what to do with an OS disk, would be too scared to use it, would lose it, or
    would break their install in 5 minutes with it. So I agree with Tom's
    comment that it's a cost saving measure, both off the top and for support.

    I believe the cluelessness to which I refer above is by happy choice: Most
    Home users would rather do anything than tinker with their computers. Since
    these are the bulk of Dell's Home purchasers, why include an OS disk?

    That said, I do believe that Dell should at least offer the rest of us the
    option to purchase a CD when buying a computer.

    And while I'm on the topic: In exchange for a reduced price for the
    computer, I would be pleased to exclude software support. After all, the
    software is already factory tested, installed and setup (with default
    options) when it arrives at your door. It's not Dell's responsibility to
    save me from myself if I then screw up my software. OTOH, if my hard disk
    dies under warranty, that's Dell's responsibility.

    Ted Zieglar

    Ted Zieglar, Apr 22, 2005
  18. Laura

    Notan Guest

    To tell you the truth, I'm not too worried about Dell.

    They're doing just fine!

    And, while I've said it before, it bears repeating... Purchases from
    Dell's Small Business Division, and higher, also afford you the option
    of a much higher level of support (i.e., Gold Tech Support). Short
    wait times on the phone and no "script readers." Unfortunately, it'll
    cost you, but if service is really a priority, it's worth it.

    Good Luck!

    Notan

    Notan, Apr 22, 2005
  19. Laura

    BigJIm Guest

    good for you

    BigJIm, Apr 22, 2005
  20. Laura

    Larry Sams Guest

    Dellbot ALERT!!!!

    Of course if you get the consumer level, you get crappy as hell support.

    Larry Sams, Apr 22, 2005