    I'm probably going to put one in early next week. I'll do a boot-a-thon and
    let you know what happens.

    Joe

    joe_tide, Apr 24, 2005

  2. Laura

    joe_tide Guest

    Yes. Call then instead of ordering on the web. If they won't send the CD,
    don't buy.

    joe_tide, Apr 24, 2005

  3. Maybe they send a disc if the computer doesn't have a CD-RW, and just gives
    the option to create your own, if it doesn't come with a CD-RW?

    Cathy De Viney, Apr 24, 2005
  4. Laura

    Wortenheimer Guest

    yes, about a month ago through their chat support interface. i was polite
    and firm. i told them the facts. i told them i wanted the OS cd.

    there were no arguements. i simply had to explain to the rep what i wanted.
    it took about five, maybe ten, minutes. the rep was from india and the chat
    was halting, but i was able to get what i wanted. they promised delivery of
    the cd in 5-7 days. i received it in three days via airborne.

    they will ask for your account and order information; and they asked for my
    credit card info, but they don't actually charge it. i assume they use the
    card info to verify identity.

    Wortenheimer, Apr 24, 2005
  5. Laura

    Laura Guest

    I could not get the chat to work so I called them on the phone instead. The
    tech support gal did not ask for my credit card number only verification of
    our account with Dell. Maybe because we are a preferred customer and have an
    account with them that they did not need the cc info.

    Laura, Apr 24, 2005
  6. Laura

    smh Guest

    No cd-rw, no OS CD, and no "Dell OS Recovery CD" menu item.

    smh, Apr 24, 2005
  7. Laura

    smh Guest

    Not true anymore.
    There's no difference in my experience.

    smh, Apr 24, 2005
  8. Laura

    Notan Guest

    Notan, Apr 24, 2005
  9. Microsoft has given Dell and the other OEMs several choices.
    Dell could:
    Provide retail CD...probably most expensive for Dell and buyer, support can
    be more expensive.
    Provide Generic OEM CD...a little less expensive, support can add up.
    Recovery CDs...cheaper and less support cost since many support options are
    simply reduced to destructive recovery.
    Recovery partition with no CD, cheapest with support as similar to above.
    Microsoft has not dictated to anyone which to chose.
    Consumers largely want the computer for the cheapest possible so the 50
    cents CD is very relevant.
    Dell has CHOSEN to not provide CD on behalf of their customers.

    The choice is Dells and the consumers...or would you have Microsoft dictate
    exactly how restoration is possible?
    Those critical of Microsoft would have a field day with that control.

    Jupiter Jones, Apr 24, 2005
  10. Laura

    smh Guest

    For Dimension:
    http://tinyurl.com/aom7y

    Operating System
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional [add $79 or $2/month1] Dell
    Recommended

    Anyway, whatever happened to the arguments that not including the OS CD
    was dictated by Microsoft, and that it's now industry "standard"?

    smh, Apr 24, 2005
  11. Laura

    Notan Guest

    Well, apparently, they're now giving the option of purchasing media,
    not based on division purchase, but on the individual product lines,
    i.e., Optiplex and Workstations.

    And the beat goes on...

    Notan

    Notan, Apr 24, 2005
  12. Laura

    smh Guest

    Double-checked your asshole is plugged up tight?
    Aren't there minute possibility that these clueless peons might have
    friends who are not so clueless?

    What happens if Dell tech support ask them to put in the OS CD (or the
    Resource CD)? Do you suppose these clueless peons don't even know how
    to put in a CD?

    smh, Apr 24, 2005
  13. Laura

    smh Guest

    There is no option to purchase media.
    Response to this one?

    smh, Apr 24, 2005
  14. Laura

    chopper Guest

    Purchasing? I didn't see any cost associated with the "with media" option.
    Of course, it's because YOU ALREADY PAID FOR IT!

    chopper, Apr 24, 2005
  15. Laura

    chopper Guest

    how ironic they ask for cc info to keep from keeping ripped off while they
    are ripping off their customers by not providing the OS cd the buyer paid
    for.

    chopper, Apr 24, 2005
  16. Laura

    Notan Guest

    Notan, Apr 24, 2005
  17. Laura

    smh Guest

    (Wonder why you bring up the word "rude"? What do you think, asshole?)

    Haven't you just found that out yourself only now, but I am expected to
    pick it up just like that, asshole?

    Well, apparently, they're now giving the option of purchasing media

    And you yourself must have been sleeping thru in all your previous posts
    whenever you dribbled about the option of getting the media!
    http://catalog.us.dell.com/CS1/cs1page2.aspx?br=6&c=us&cs=04&fm=11048&kc=6W463&l=en&s=bsd

    There is no charge listed:
    "Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional SP2 with media" or
    "Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional SP2 without media"

    For Dimension, charges are listed, like this:
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional [add $79 or $2/month1]
    Did I say you said it?

    smh, Apr 24, 2005
  18. Dell has at least 4 sites, the 2 mentioned plus Medium & Large Business
    and Govt, Education & Healthcare, with subdivisions.

    I still maintain (although not intended as a flame) that having multiple
    sites presupposes some differences in product lines, pricing, support,
    policies, etc.

    Sparky Spartacus, Apr 24, 2005
  19. Do you know what that would do to our sales??!!

    Seriously, not everyone ses it that way.

    How about a nice Crunchy Frog?

    Sparky Spartacus, Apr 24, 2005
  20. Don't think that's it - my Dim 8400 came with both CD & DVD burners and
    I got a full set of CD (inc. XP SP2).

    Sparky Spartacus, Apr 24, 2005