Has anyone gotten their OS Disk from Dell recently?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Laura, Apr 22, 2005.

  1. Available on the Home site?

    Sparky Spartacus, Apr 24, 2005

  2. Laura

    Notan Guest

    Not that I can find.

    In the past, I thought that *all* systems, sold through the Small Business
    division, had special options, but this doesn't appear to be true.

    Notan

    Notan, Apr 24, 2005

  3. Laura

    Notan Guest

    I posted a URL, indicating that Dell is giving Small Business
    purchasers the option of receiving an OS CD.

    You responded with, "Not true anymore."

    Yes it is.

    What do you expect me to say, other than "You're not paying
    attention?"

    Notan

    Notan, Apr 24, 2005
  4. Laura

    Laura Guest

    Laura, Apr 24, 2005
  5. Laura

    Notan Guest

    Notan, Apr 24, 2005
  6. Laura

    Notan Guest

    By the way, my use of the word "purchasing" may be incorrect. I don't
    know, for a fact, that requesting/receiving the media will cost any
    more than not requesting/receiving it.

    Notan

    Notan, Apr 24, 2005
  7. Laura

    David Guest

    As it has been said before,
    your are only given the choice
    on systems ABOVE dimension/inspiron.
    Look at any optiplex..latitude..etc and you will see this option.
    Dave

    David, Apr 24, 2005
  8. Laura

    Notan Guest

    Oh, yeah... And as David pointed out, the Latitude line.

    Notan

    Notan, Apr 24, 2005
  9. Laura

    PC Medic Guest

    Nothing different here than with most any company. Business/corporate
    accounts that make frequent or large purchases tend to get handled by
    account reps that pamper them.
    Got shafted how? Having to click on a menu item that says it will burn a
    system OS cd for you????
    Many 'brown-box' vendors have been doing this for years. I think many of you
    have two perfect a life if your biggest concern is that your new system did
    not come with a OS CD. The OS is loaded and you got the CoA...get over it!

    PC Medic, Apr 24, 2005
  10. Laura

    PC Medic Guest

    While I am sure Dell made this policy as a cost cutting measure, do not
    under estimate the control MS has and very well could have possibly made
    such a decision (though again I doubt it in this case).
    Donating 1+ billion a year does not make you a 'good guy'.
    Most people that say bad stuff about him dislike his business practices (and
    justly so) and some probably feel that being worth 60+ Billion, he could do
    much more on the social side and never miss it.

    Then there are those that think money and power are the important things in
    life and of course they worship him!

    PC Medic, Apr 24, 2005
  11. Laura

    Laura Guest

    All on the Small Business side. Nothing on the Home side of the fence.

    Laura, Apr 24, 2005
  12. Laura

    chopper Guest

    Being at the top, and being at the top for so long, by so much, has made
    Microsoft and Bill Gates the target of many. Some of the reasons are
    legitimate andd they deserve to be criticized. Many are not and are driven
    by competitors and jealous people. It is the tendency of people to demonize
    the opposition or top dog. The fact is, you don't get to be top dog by
    being a pansy pushover. It takes drive and determination. Many people
    don't like that but it is what makes companies, and people, successful.

    It pisses me off when Microsoft and Bill Gates get blamed for something like
    this that is purely a Dell decision. People let their grudges and bias
    affect their common sense and judgement. It's rather unbelieveable how many
    out there fall prey to this disease.

    chopper, Apr 24, 2005
  13. Laura

    chopper Guest

    OK, back to Computer 101.

    A computer is a piece of plastic, metal and silicon without the OS. When
    you buy a computer, you require the OS in order to allow the system to do
    what you need it to do via software. The OS is every bit as important as
    the hardware and I would argue more important. Now, if there comes a time,
    and it almost always does come, that the system needs to be rebuilt and/or
    restored, the customer needs to have the ability to use what they have
    bought and paid for (OS cd) to get their system operational again. To not
    have the software from the company that wrote it (MS) on media that can be
    used is just plain wrong.

    What the hell is next from Dell? Assemble the hardware yourself from the
    parts they send to you? OH! You mean you want it working out of the box?!
    Silly you! That was an OPTION and you didn't select it. We can do that for
    a price because you know this costs money and it's cheaper to just send you
    the parts. This cost cutting crap is going way to far!

    chopper, Apr 24, 2005
  14. Laura

    Tom Scales Guest

    Are you not actually reading the posts? You brun your very own OS CD. Are
    you that hung up on the quality of the label?

    What are you missing?

    Tom Scales, Apr 24, 2005
  15. Laura

    chopper Guest

    Well hell YES! An official label shows its a real copy versus some illegal
    copy.
    If its no big deal then why is Dell taking the sleazy cheapskate route with
    its customers? Customers pay for an OS and they should get the damn OS cd.
    A real, officially labelled CD. PERIOD.

    How about this compromise? Dell can take their Dell labels and backgrounds
    off the computer and save money there and still provide customers with the
    CD they are owed? See how un-hungup I am on labels?
    A hell of a lot less than you are!

    chopper, Apr 25, 2005
  16. Another Hooplehead heard from!

    Sparky Spartacus, Apr 25, 2005
  17. chopper wrote:

    Right, I'm guessing you're not a professor of computer science at MIT.
    Whatever would you do with an OS absent RAM or a HDD?

    Sparky Spartacus, Apr 25, 2005
  18. Laura

    Tom Scales Guest

    What makes you think it is an illegal copy? You don't really understand
    copyright law, do you?

    You've lost the arguement. Give it a rest.

    Tom Scales, Apr 25, 2005
  19. Laura

    chopper Guest

    oh, oh, and what about the power supply and all those wires? And that ON
    button, without that there is no life right?

    All mMindless pieces of metal, silicon and plastic. The software provides
    the brains of the operation. Geesh, can't you go out and buy one of those
    Computers for Dummies books PLEASE!

    Oh... and don't forget the energy provided by the electricity. DAMN!
    There's another cost savings potential for Dell! That is an Electrical
    Distribution System Interface Cable! Why you should be getting that from
    your electric company and not Dell. And heck, printers don't come with data
    cables so there is precedence here. Hot damn, I could get a job at Dell and
    make them bazillions of dollars screwin' you dell luvin' dorks!

    chopper, Apr 26, 2005
  20. Why, is your picture on the cover?
    You forgot the most important part, the finger to press the ON button. I
    have a finger for you.

    So what *would* you do with an OS absent RAM or a HDD, hm?
    Thanks for confirming your status as a Twatwaffle First Class!

    :)

    Sparky Spartacus, Apr 26, 2005