    harddrive and RAM? Replacing your building blocks?

    MMmmmm.... that sounds mighty tasty! I'll take mine with whipped cream and
    strawberries please... :cool:

    chopper, Apr 26, 2005

  2. Hi!
    Now why do you say that?

    Laura gave what I thought was a pretty decent explanation...hardly grounds
    for calling her a troll!

    That said, I too checked the option for "no ISP" when I ordered my Dimension
    8300 and Latitude D800. Both times the setup programs were still included. I
    guess this is viewed as a "last chance" kind of thing in case the buyer of
    the computer has a change of heart.

    With the Dimension I got a full set of recovery CDs, including a stand-alone
    Windows XP disc. I seem to remember that my Latitude came the same way. What
    it does I don't know, but at order time there is an option for "with media"
    or "without media". I would assume that "without media" gets you just the
    hard-disk based restore, whereas "with media" gets you at least an OS disc.

    None of this mattered much. I later blew the contents of both machines away
    and loaded two retail-purchased copies of Windows 2000 Professional on them.
    I don't do XP and I would just as soon make my own decisions about what is
    installed with the system.

    Dell seems to have different ways of doing the restoration process depending
    upon your system too. Not all that long ago I had a lower end Dimension in
    here for service that had two (!) different kinds of discs. One set was the
    "classic" offering of a Windows XP disc along with a resource CD and a few
    others. The other was a set of four discs that did a true factory clean and
    destructive restoration.

    I'd have to say that I've fought many a battle with tech support people in
    India. Now, don't get me wrong here. I have nothing against the Indian
    people. But I do have a terrible time understanding what they say and more
    than once I've talked to some who were rather rude.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Apr 26, 2005

  3. Laura

    Tom Scales Guest

    message
    What model Dimension? I've been on this newsgroup for years and owned a lot
    of Dimensions and NEVER seen or heard of a Dimension with restore image
    disks. Are you sure they were not made by the owner?

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 27, 2005