    Spin Guest

    Gurus,

    Has anyone seen such a mythical beast as an 8GB RAM laptop?

    Spin, Mar 6, 2008

  2. Spin

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    What would be the point? Only 64 bit versions of Windows can access that
    much RAM, and that would be overkill for a laptop.

    M.I.5¾, Mar 6, 2008

  3. Spin

    Frank Tate Guest

    HP is advertising some:

    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/e...owerful&psn=notebooks_tablet_pcs/notebook_pcs

    Though when you configure one with 8GB, it says "Expected delivery
    date of 4/19".

    Personally, I can't WAIT for the 4GB SODIMMs to become available.
    Apparently, any Santa Rosa (Intel 965 M chipset) based laptop should
    be able to support 8GB, and the more the better. I currently run Vista
    x64 on my Thinkpad t61p with 4GB of RAM, and more would definitely be
    good. I'm a consultant and an instructor, and I regularly have a need
    to run multiple VMs, each with 2GB of RAM. I'm on the road ALL the
    time, often with little or no internet access (in secure areas on
    customer sites), so I need to have all of my stuff with me, and I need
    to be able to run it locally. So I've currently got 520GB of disk (one
    200GB and one 320 GB in the Ultrabay), and I'll be happy when
    Samsung's normal-sized 500GB 2.5" drives are available - I'll swap out
    both drives to get it up to a full terabyte.

    -- Frank

    Frank Tate, Apr 2, 2008