    is on these things. It's a pain to install an airport card adapter in
    an old iMac, and the original airport cards are expensive! Is tis a
    practical alternative. TIA

    whaddayawant, Mar 7, 2006

  2. whaddayawant

    Nick Guest

    There's nothing in the auction that says how fast the card actually is,
    in terms of 802.11g or 802.11b. It only compares the card to the
    ORIGINAL Apple AirPort card, which is the slower 802.11b. They claim
    compatibility with 802.11g base stations, but that's because g includes
    fallback to b.

    My guess is, this is an outdated piece of equipment.

    You can get a 802.11b/g USB adapter from Amazon, and it's cheaper than
    that auction:

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DQUHC/ref=pd_sbs_e_1/102-9893631-73
    64961?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=172282

    Or just take a trip down to your local electronics emporium and you'll
    probably find a similar item.

    -- Nick

    Nick, Mar 10, 2006

  3. whaddayawant

    whaddayawant Guest

    hmm unfortunately under USB 1.1 (like on my old iMac) you are limited
    to speeds of 56k. Just like dial-up!

    whaddayawant, Mar 10, 2006
  4. Why would that be? USB 1.1 can easily cope with about 5Mb/s and the
    minimum data rate 802.11 defines is 1Mb/s. 56k would be kind of
    eccentric for a wireless connection.

    Barry Twycross, Mar 11, 2006