    announcing the end of Usenet service.
    Any recommendations for a replacement Usenet service service?

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Jun 20, 2009

  2. Phil Weldon

    ShadowTek Guest

    Yes, I have also been seeing discussions about the end of their service,
    though I never used it.
    I have been using Motzarella for a while now, and it's a good one, *and*
    it's free, but it doesn't serve binaries.

    ShadowTek, Jun 20, 2009

  3. Phil Weldon

    Guest Guest

    There's also albasani.net and solani.org, both of which are text-only
    but free with registration (and no added advertising to your posts).

    Guest, Jun 20, 2009
  4. Phil Weldon

    Paul Guest

    And nntp.aioe.org is available without registration. So can be
    used as a fallback server, if the others fail. There is a limit
    of 25 text posts per day, and no binaries.

    http://www.aioe.org

    To support the fact there is no authentication, that server
    has filters. For example, attempts to send the same message
    text twice, will be rejected (as that looks like a spam
    bombing run). Attempts to post too quickly, might also
    result in rejection. But in "normal" usage patterns (i.e.
    not "chat room" style), you'll never run into a problem.

    Some day, we'll be reduced to using BBSes again...

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 20, 2009
  5. There were new articles about them dropping Usenet. When Cocast dropped
    Usenet I switched back to

    https://news.individual.net/

    It costs 10 Euros a year. They have much better SPAM filtering then
    Comcast had so the 10 Euros is worth every cent.

    General Schvantzkoph, Jun 20, 2009
  6. Phil Weldon

    Guest Guest

    Just FYI, aioe.org is a widely banned and filtered domain. Huge
    problem with spammers, lamers and flamers, almost as bad as
    googlegroups.

    Guest, Jun 21, 2009
  7. : There were new articles about them dropping Usenet. When Cocast dropped
    : Usenet I switched back to
    :
    : https://news.individual.net/
    :
    : It costs 10 Euros a year. They have much better SPAM filtering then
    : Comcast had so the 10 Euros is worth every cent.

    This. Victim of Verizon. individual.net is a winner for me too.

    Howard Goldstein, Jun 22, 2009