Hassles with my dell dimension 3000

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Clifford Davis Hines, Mar 16, 2006.

  1. Ok. I am having some annoying issues with my computer that I need help
    with..

    1. I downloaded a update to paint shop x and istalled on on my
    computer fine. Windows installed comes on and tries to install a
    driver and then quits on me and it keeps trying to iinstall the same
    driver till I click cancel.

    2. Tonight I was having some problems with my computer so I rebooted
    the computer. it started up and did checkscan which was fine it fixed
    some issues I had with the computer and then it restored orphan files
    and stuff that I did not understand fully. Then the computer
    rebooted fully and I tried to check my major directories and when I
    tried to access the directories the message said I did not have intel
    pro set working. and I tried my system restore the menu items where
    greyed out.

    3. I saw error messages that said flash player 8 was not a vaid
    windows file and I had to restall flash player 8 But I also lost
    firefox

    What do I need to do ?

    cliff

    Clifford Davis Hines, Mar 16, 2006

  2. Clifford Davis Hines

    Tom Scales Guest

    Cliff,

    It sounds like either a) your hard drive is failing and failing fast or b)
    you are badly infected with a virus.

    Assuming you haven't deleted partitions, I'd check the hard drive first.
    Boot the machine and when you see the Dell logo, press Ctrl+Alt+D. This
    will start the Dell diagnostics. Run them and let us know what happened.

    Also, backup anything important. Quickly!

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Mar 16, 2006

  3. Clifford Davis Hines

    journey Guest

    I don't have a clue as to what the problem is, but I too recommend
    that you back up your data quickly and make that priority #1.

    I was fortunate a few years ago when I heard my Inspiron 4100's hard
    drive start to make a clicking sound. I literally got my important
    data off of the drive within a minute of it failing entirely.

    (Recently I have my data backed up to externals, but I need to store
    some backup DVDs at a friend's house or safe deposit box -- a lot of
    the important stuff is in my Palm TX or Axim X51v)

    Journey

    journey, Mar 16, 2006