Haswell CPU needs new power supply?

Discussion in 'Intel' started by BW, May 19, 2013.

  1. BW

    BW Guest

    BW, May 19, 2013

  2. BW

    Trent Guest

    On Sat, 18 May 2013 19:59:27 -0700 (PDT) BW <> wrote
    in Message id:
    <>:

    >http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...y_Require_New_Power_Supply_Units_for_PCs.html
    >
    >Brilliant, Intel.
    >Is this going to stop the decline in desktop PC sales? I doubt I
    >shall upgrade, while my vintage Sandy Bridge
    >stuff keeps running.

    WTF are you and all the others whining about? Just because of the fact
    that Intel is able to design a processor that uses 50mA in the C6/C7
    states, why is it their problem that many current or older power supplies
    cannot regulate +12V at the expected current requirements? What would you
    have them do, put a dummy load resistor on the chip?

    Sheesh!

    Trent, May 20, 2013

  3. BW wrote:
    > http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...y_Require_New_Power_Supply_Units_for_PCs.html
    >
    > Brilliant, Intel.
    > Is this going to stop the decline in desktop PC sales? I doubt I
    > shall upgrade, while my vintage Sandy Bridge
    > stuff keeps running.

    Really? You are complaining because Intel improved the CPU in a way which
    exposes the fact that your P/S doesn't work very well?

    --
    Bill Davidsen <>
    "'Nothing to hide' does not imply 'nothing to fear'"

    Bill Davidsen, Jun 24, 2013
  4. The following is from the DZ87KLT-75K Tech Product Spec.
    The problem with it is that I do not know how, as a private individual, to access the link to the approved suppliers.
    Anyone have any ideas how?Stuart
    2.5.1 Power Supply Considerations CAUTION The +5 V standby line from the power supply must be capable of providing adequate +5 V standby current. Failure to do so can damage the power supply. The total amount of standby current required depends on the wake devices supported and manufacturing options.

    Additional power required will depend on configurations chosen by the integrator.

    Due to improvements in 4th generation Intel Core processor power efficiency, the requirements for the processor's power supply have changed. More specifically, the latest Power Supply Design Guide rev 1.3 has indicated a minimum current of 0.05A on +12 V2DC and recommends 0A. This is to prevent Power Supply Unit (PSU) protection from triggering during minimum loading.

    Intel recommends that system integrators and builders check the latest list of tested PSUs to find out which are capable of supporting the 4th generation Intel Core processor. This list may be found at: http://www.intel.com/go/powersupplies/. From the filters at the top right of the page, set 12V2 Min Load 0A to "Yes" to see which PSUs are capable of supporting the processor's new power requirements.

    The power supply must comply with the indicated parameters of the ATX form factor specification.
    .. The potential relation between 3.3 V DC and +5 V DC power rails
    .. The current capability of the +5 VSB line
    .. All timing parameters
    .. All voltage tolerances

    For example, for a system consisting of a supported 95 W processor (see Section 1.3 on page 17 for a list of supported processors), 4 GB DDR3 RAM, one high end video card, one hard disk drive, one optical drive, and all board peripherals enabled, the minimum recommended power supply is 460 W. Table 31 lists the recommended power supply current values.

    Table 31. Recommended Power Supply Current Values
    Output Voltage 3.3 V 5 V 12 V1 12 V2 -12 V 5 VSB
    Current 22 A 20 A 16 A 16 A 0.3 A 1.5 A

    Stuart Bouchey, Jun 30, 2013