Have Dell Enhanced Multimedia KB: Need software

Discussion in 'Dell' started by DocRocs, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. DocRocs

    DocRocs Guest

    We have a Dell Enhanced multimedia keyboard, off of ebay. However it did not
    come with any software to program the hotkeys. They said XP would recognize
    it. It does, but the keys can not be programmed for other functions. Also,
    the media control ( off to the left) does not recognize windows media player
    which is the default for XP. When you press on the key it opens up Sound
    Blaster Live Mixer. Even Dell Support does not know why. This is a 2r400
    keyboard. Many different model numbers, but all are the same KB.

    Does anyone know if there is available software for download. I have
    searched the Dell site.

    I tried the resource CD, but that did nothing, so my understanding is that
    there is a seperate software program for this.

    Any help greatly appreciated.
    TIA
    Doc

    DocRocs, Jan 24, 2004

  2. DocRocs

    joe_tide Guest

    joe_tide, Jan 24, 2004

  3. DocRocs

    DocRocs Guest

    Joe,

    Thankx for the info. I have that file on my resource CD, it did not work.
    Also downloaded that patch that you posted, that did not work either. As
    matter of fact i have that file installed right now, but it still does not
    change any options on the keyboard. There must be another program needed.

    Thankx for the help,
    Doc

    DocRocs, Jan 25, 2004
  4. DocRocs

    Ann Meffert Guest

    If you have the Enhanced MM keyboard with the volume knob on the right
    side, you may not be able to program the eight hot keys. I have the
    RT7D30 model and there has been much discussion on the DellTalk
    newsgroup over the year and a half I've owned it. It appears that the
    only buttons you can program are the Home button, which is tied into IE,
    and possibly the Mail button. If you come up with more information, let
    me know. AFAIK, DellTouch software does not work with this KB.

    Ann Meffert, Jan 25, 2004
  5. DocRocs

    Cynthia G Guest

    I have the enhanced keyboard at the office, I don't know the exact
    model. The buttons are not prgrammable. That's why I sent it back when
    it came with my home machine.

    IIRC, the command keys settings in TweakUI powertoy allowed me to change
    the Calculator button to open another program. I know I did it, but I'm
    not sure how - it might have been in the keyboard properties page, but I
    don't think so.

    Cynthia G, Jan 26, 2004
  6. DocRocs

    DocRocs Guest

    Anne,

    I have rhe 2r400 keyboard, which is identical to the one you the (rt7d39).
    I have searched the dell forums, & no one seems to get an answer. The
    moderator stated that it is programable, then IT IS NOT programable (
    changes his story). The one person posting there has asked ove r & over the
    same question I have. Which is:

    When I hit the key to lauch a mucic player it opens sound blaster live
    MIXER, which makes no sense, after all Windows Media Player is the default
    for XP, although there are many other players a person may have.

    What happens when you hit the key to open up a player, t( the key to the
    left of the volume control). all my audio is off to the left.)

    Hope to hear from you,
    Doc.

    PS: The back, forward, etc keys seem to all work. I have yet to go to every
    ket to see if the all work right, I had heard there were some problems withy
    that also.

    TIA again
    Doc

    DocRocs, Jan 26, 2004
  7. DocRocs

    Ann Meffert Guest

    Doc, if I have a CD in the DVD tray and I press the Play/Pause button, I
    receive a window that asks me which audio program I want to use:
    RealOne, Windows Media Player, or MusicMatch Jukebox. There are a couple
    of other choices: Open a folder, and Take No Action. Now, when I press
    the music note symbol button to the right of the volume knob, my Turtle
    Beach Control Panel opens up. I don't have a SoundBlaster card in my
    computer. Mine is TB Santa Cruz. Does this help?

    Ann Meffert, Jan 27, 2004
  8. DocRocs

    Ann Meffert Guest

    Yep. You can use the Command keys selection in Tweak Ui for WinXP, but
    darn I can't remember how to set up a custom program that will change my
    Mail key from going to Outlook Express to a website where I retrieve my
    AT&T e-mail. So, it can be done, but I don't remember how. Usually I
    keep relevant notes from newsgroups but I cannot find anything I've
    saved on this.

    Ann Meffert, Jan 27, 2004
  9. DocRocs

    DocRocs Guest

    Hi Ann,

    In talking with a tech today from where i got the keyboard, ( not Dell, but
    on ebay from some company), .......this man had worked for Dell for many
    years.
    We had a lengthy discussion, & all in all that is the way the keyboard
    works. When you hit that music note key, it will bring up the SB Live Mixer,
    or in your case the Turle Beach program. It will not default to Windows
    Media Player. I am thinking abour returning it, i have 30 days to decide. In
    the meantime I bought a Logitech Elite, it works ok, had some problems with
    that also. Needed to DL the new drivers from their website. This has to many
    fuctions, more then I will use. It works fairly well though. I have some
    probelms with it, so I will see use it for a day or so. My old Microsoft
    worked the best. But, I wanted a black keyboard to match the rest of the
    system. I especially need That big BACK key that Dell & Micosoft both have.
    This has a real small button, for back, which is hard to get used to.

    That's the story after spending hours on the Dell Forum (everyone has the
    same problem). Also There was a posting of dell using the same software the
    HP uses thatr contains spyware, so now if I keep the Dell, I don't even want
    the program.

    Thankx for all your help,
    Take care,
    Doc

    DocRocs, Jan 27, 2004
  10. DocRocs

    Ann Meffert Guest

    Have you actually been shopping for a good keyboard and tried any of the
    new black Microsoft keyboards? Personally, I like Logitech products, but
    ultimately I would buy based on the typing touch since I actually use
    the keyboard for data input. I like the feel of the Dell keyboard and
    was also disappointed that it really wasn't programmable. My Compaq
    keyboard from around 1998 was both programmable and good to type with. I
    kept the Dell keyboard and it does meet my needs, but I would like real
    programmable buttons, and I do look around at other models from time to
    time. Any of these look like what you're looking for?

    http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/list.aspx?view=22&pcid=21914f2f-9
    f33-40b8-99d8-95db59afa8bd&type=ctg

    http://www.circuitcity.com/display_review.jsp?c=1&b=g&OID=80730&catoid=-
    10264

    http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-10264&qp=0&oid=806
    72

    Ann Meffert, Jan 28, 2004
  11. DocRocs

    DocRocs Guest

    Hi Ann,

    Thank you for the tips on keyboards. The only reason I am looking is that I
    currnetly have a Microsoft Internet Keyboard, it is white & rather old. The
    keys are clicky, when typing. Over the years PC's went from white to black,
    so I guess I am picky & now want a black keyboard I mouse.

    This Dell has a nice touch to it. I do want the back & forward keys, which
    it has.

    The new Microsoft is geared toward media. the keys are My Computer, Pics,
    Music, ets. They left out the Browsing keys , such as forward & balck. So
    that will not do me any good

    I tried the logitech, now that has to much stuff on it & the keys are
    smaller i noticed, harder for me to type, since i am not agood typist. I
    have the logitech Elite black, lot of functions, but, sometimes the keybaord
    does not always act the same. When you hit the Home page, it brings it up,
    then big green letters, WWW, appear on the screnn. Now you have to sit &
    wait till they disappear, before you can actually start doing anything, so
    it kind of freezes for a minute. The feel of the keys are harder for me
    since they are smaller. But it does make a nice combo with the mouse.
    Overall, there are intemitting problems for it, as that is why I am back on
    the Dell now. What a difference in the feel of the keys.

    Thank you again, I will kepp, you updated on what i do.

    Doc

    DocRocs, Jan 28, 2004
  12. DocRocs

    Ann Meffert Guest

    There was a black edition of the Microsoft multimedia keyboard
    especially designed for office use. I saw it at Best Buy, but that was
    many months ago. I thought it was pretty neat for users who actually use
    MS Word and editing since its buttons were keyed toward those functions.
    I noticed it on the MS website, but it was in white and tan (?) and
    didn't see a black and silver version. You might look for that one.
    Here's a picture of the light colored one (don't know if anyone has the
    black and silver anymore).
    http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/sku.asp?PageType=1&Sku=466950&bcFl
    ag=True&bcSCatId=3&bcSCatName=Technology&bcCatId=81&bcCatName=Mice+%26+K
    eyboards&bcDeptId=1924&bcDeptName=Keyboards&bcClassId=141981&bcClassName
    =Corded+Keyboards

    This link probably won't be usable unless you copy and paste it. It's
    only a mile long!

    Ann Meffert, Jan 29, 2004
  13. DocRocs

    Donhu

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Mail programmable button fixed!

    hey sorry i'm late guys but i just got this keyboard (the one with the knob - whatever its called) today and this is how i configured my mail button to bring me to my mail page.

    U need to:
    1. Get Tweakui which i got from filehippo.com, u can just Google it
    2. Open the web page (I'm supposing that this it is a specific mail web page you're trying to navigate to) then click file save as : web page, html only
    3. Open Tweakui and navigate to : explorer, command keys, mail, change, then enter the location of the file you just saved i.e the web page file [delete the quotes]
    4.Click ok, apply and test it out

    :cool:

    email me with the subject title "KEYBOARD HELP" (if u don't i might treat you as spam) if u have any other probs with this keyboard ill try my best to help you out: melydigo@yahoo."com"

    Aristocratz
    Donnaz

    Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
    Donhu, Apr 23, 2009
  14. DocRocs

    marsinah

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Driver not needed for the dell Enchanced Multimedia KB

    Ok I know this is really late from original posting, but here goes. There is no special driver needed for this keyboard. The hot buttons or short keys at the top work with your default programs. For example, if your default email program is ms outlook, if you press the mail button, it will open outlook. If your default internet browser is Internet Explorer, pressing the Home button will open IE and your default homepage. Same goes for the volume controls on the side. The little music icon will open your default music program. Mine opens iTunes when I press it.
    The driver I currently have installed is the "standard 101/102-key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard" Driver Provider Microsoft Driver Version 5.1.2600.0 dated way back in July of 2001.

    So see, no special dell driver and no special software came with this to program the buttons on top. It simply again is tied to your default programs.
    I am probably the only person who still uses a wired keyboard. But if there are still people out there who use this keyboard and want to program those darn buttons, this is the way to do it!

    marsinah, Apr 22, 2010