Have I Been Rude to "Madwen?" Volunteers Requested

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Davoud, Dec 13, 2003.

  1. Davoud

    Davoud Guest

    In a post of December 11, 2003, entitled "Is the iTunes Store the only
    option?" "Madwen" expressed disappointment with the Itunes Music Store
    and asked "Are there any other quality options that also allow you to
    hear samples?" I replied thusly:

    "Try
    <http://www.google.com/search?as_q=buy+download+music&num=100&hl=en&ie=U
    TF-8&oe=UTF-8&newwindow=1&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&a
    s_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=i
    mages>.
    Davoud"

    My response apparently angered Madwen, and she replied saying "Gee
    thanks for the five million listings and here's something I just
    happened across about you, isn't it?" and then posted a link to an
    article about a man who had sex with a sheep.

    Next, "Bread with Spam" replied to Madwen, saying, inter alia, "Oh,
    that's really the way to encourage the community to continue to try to
    help you with your iPod/iTunes queries."

    To this, "Madwen" replied "He had it coming but you probably missed
    those other posts. I've participated in this community on and off for
    the better part of ten years so, while I really appreciate your
    assistance, I reserve the right to respond to rude jackasses like him
    in the manner I see fit so you may save you little lectures for the
    uninitiated, thank you."

    In the same thread, "Madwen" responded to Gregory Weston, saying "The
    jerk was rude to me more than once. I was rude back to him. You and
    some other usenet police don't like it. Tough. I guess that about
    sums it up. If you have any other concerns, I suggest you take them to
    alt.useless.prattle as I am done with this conversation."

    I have searched the CSMS archive
    <http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en&lr=&group=comp.sys.
    mac.system&safe=off> in an effort to find threads in which "Madwen" and
    I both participated in order to identify instances in which I was rude
    to Madwen. (I also searched the archives for comp.sys.mac.apps and
    comp.sys.mac.portables, the only other Mac groups in which I
    participate with any regularity, but I obtained no results in the
    latter two.)

    Since I am not an unbiased observer in this instance, and since none of
    you knows me personally, I am asking for volunteers to search in such
    places and in such a manner as they might see fit to help me identify
    "those other posts" in which I was rude to Madwen "more than once."

    Thanks in advance,

    Davoud

    Davoud, Dec 13, 2003

  2. Davoud

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    Apparently, "Madwen" considers it rude if someone's opinions are
    contradictory to her own. Ockham's razor suggests a very simple
    reason why.

    Bev A. Kupf, Dec 13, 2003

  3. (rest of interchange deleted to save bandwidth)

    It depends a little on Davoud's intent. Did Davoud intend that the
    respondant be overwhelmed by Google's response, or was the intent
    merely to show the respondant how to use (or not use) Google?

    Even in the worst case, it does not seem to me on a par with the sort of
    invective that is slung daily at participants in this forum.

    If I were Davoud, I'd offer an apology; if I were Madwen, I'd accept it.
    For the record, I do not recall either Davoud or Madwen acting rudely
    towards the other.

    I am always glad to read the postings of these unusually literate
    and well-informed posters, and would hate for either to give up on
    this forum.

    Best wishes to Madwen and Davoud,
    David Derbes

    david raoul derbes, Dec 13, 2003
  4. Davoud

    Paul Fuchs Guest

    My opinion, for what it's worth, is that your reply was a bit
    condescending. Madwen is a reasonably experienced user, and I don't
    think she was asking How To Use Google 101, but rather a brief
    evaluation of the other possibilities.

    It can be tedious to reinvent the wheel constantly. Maybe someone has
    spent a couple of hours investigating the answer to her question and can
    give her a few dynamite pointers. A Google search which pops up
    hundreds of URL's is not an appropriate answer. A URL or two, where
    someone has researched it and put the answers on a page is.

    If one feels that an OP is lazy and should do his/her own research, then
    don't reply at all.

    There are a couple of expert users on this group, and this does not
    apply to you, Davoud, who get their rocks off by by giving one or two
    word answers to a specific question rather than answering the obvious
    "metaquestion" behind the question. I regard this as a form of arrogant
    hostility, and a brash reply is often warranted.

    However, I think that in this case Madwen sort of went postal and over
    reacted to a slight provocation.

    My 2 cents.

    Paul Fuchs, Dec 13, 2003
  5. Davoud

    Paul Fuchs Guest

    I think Madwen is too sensible to object to this simple statement of
    fact. Let's all turn to the West and salute the full Moon. I always
    get a thrill out of right wing evangelsitic arms dealers - it's the
    killa commie for Jesus thing.

    Paul Fuchs, Dec 13, 2003
  6. Not worth the trouble, IMHO. Both of you are taking Usenet way too
    seriously. Get over it and move on, both of you.

    Tom Harrington, Dec 13, 2003
  7. Davoud

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Yeah, it should have been "My 37 cents"

    :)

    Wes Groleau, Dec 14, 2003
  8. Davoud

    D.F. Manno Guest

    Thanks for registering your opinion.

    D.F. Manno, Dec 15, 2003
  9. Davoud

    Davoud Guest

    Bill Leeper:
    Hey! This was _my_ thread! But I must say that you all have done a
    First Class job with it.

    Davoud

    Davoud, Dec 17, 2003
  10. Davoud

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    Don't make a Federal case out of it. (Oops, sorry, that's the competition,
    isn't it, Bill?)

    Bev A. Kupf, Dec 17, 2003
  11. Actually, it's "coopetition." The USPS and FedEx have been trading
    resources for some time now.

    Gregory Weston, Dec 17, 2003