    random rebooting from my computer. Someone has suggested that it is
    probavbly one or more blown or bad capacitors. Have other
    ecepeicenced thios recently. Please relate dthe symptoms to me.

    J. P. Willis, Jan 11, 2005

  2. J. P. Willis

    Smoker~ Guest

    Smoker~, Jan 11, 2005

  3. J. P. Willis

    kirbalo Guest

    I had a K7S5A v3.1 with bad caps. You will probably notice that the caps
    have "domed" tops on them. They may also be leaking "lytic" material, but
    not always. I had 11 caps bad near the memory subsystem. Replacing them
    is probably not worth it, unless you feel energtic and are very good with a
    soldering iron.
    --
    Kirbalo...

    K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 1600+
    1 Gig DDR, 120 GB, nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440
    SuSE Linux 9.2 Pro & XP Pro Dual Boot
    Linux 2.6.8-24.10-default
    10:14am up 1:10, 3 users, load average: 0.87, 0.58, 0.49

    kirbalo, Jan 11, 2005
  4. J. P. Willis

    J. P. Willis Guest

    Why is this iccurrig just now. Is it the brand of board that makes it
    pertinent or what. Is it just the mobo's produced about three years
    ago or when? What is the best explanation for the problem. I have
    been unable to find much discussiin of the issue except for Abit
    boards.

    J. P. Willis, Jan 12, 2005
  5. J. P. Willis

    kirbalo Guest

    If you dig deep into news about 3 years ago, you might find some snippits.
    To the best of my knowledge, the story went something like this...(Please
    feel free to append, correct, etc.)

    There was a gentleman at a Japanese capacitor manufacturer who left to work
    at a Taiwanese capacitor manufacturer. He took what he thought was a
    complete recipe for the "lytic' material with him, either in memory or in
    print, probably the prior. The recipe was apparently incomplete. Other
    cap. manufacturers (TW) started to use this same recipe, probably for cost
    reasons. In a nutshell, the caps. are not stable over temperature, and
    they break down.

    It was mobo independent, and cap. manufacturer independent, AFAIK, but that
    it did occur during a certain timeframe of about 3 years ago...
    --
    Kirbalo...

    K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 1600+
    1 Gig DDR, 120 GB, nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440
    SuSE Linux 9.2 Pro & XP Pro Dual Boot
    Linux 2.6.8-24.10-default
    9:29am up 1 day 0:25, 3 users, load average: 1.18, 1.39, 1.43

    kirbalo, Jan 12, 2005
  6. J. P. Willis

    gOrOpE Guest

    yes, I have got an K7S6A and raplace 3 capacitors. Before the repair I
    apreciate more frecuent blue screens than never before, and Motherboard
    monitor begun to alarm on voltages. Yesterday cleaning the case and
    changing bad fans I apreciate a blowed cap on the cpu regulator. I will
    need to do more repairs.

    My brother's Abit KT7-raid do the same than yours. One day can't boot and
    reboot itself permanently. I replace 13 bad caps and it's actualy running
    smooth.

    excuse my poor english.

    gOrOpE, Jan 13, 2005
  7. J. P. Willis

    J. P. Willis Guest

    How can the capicotor manufacurers avoid tasking responsibility for
    this mess. If it was an automobile involvwed would it noiat have een
    recalled before the warranty want south omn it.

    Why was no alarm sounded long ago?

    J. P. Willis, Jan 13, 2005
  8. J. P. Willis

    Kylesb Guest

    | How can the capicotor manufacurers avoid tasking responsibility for
    | this mess. If it was an automobile involvwed would it noiat have
    een
    | recalled before the warranty want south omn it.
    |
    | Why was no alarm sounded long ago?

    Because the recall costs might put some manufacturers out of business,
    or seriously hurt their bottom line profitability. The whole scenario
    was a classic finger pointing affair, with no responsible business
    willing to take the blame or make things right. I've seen several
    caps fail for no apparent reason, most of them were in a board that is
    quite old now.

    Kylesb, Jan 14, 2005
  9. It was. http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html

    Mike Tomlinson, Jan 14, 2005
  10. J. P. Willis

    Kylesb Guest

    | In article <>, J. P.
    Willis

    | >How can the capicotor manufacurers avoid tasking responsibility for
    | >this mess. If it was an automobile involvwed would it noiat have
    een
    | >recalled before the warranty want south omn it.
    | >
    | >Why was no alarm sounded long ago?
    |
    | It was.
    http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html

    | --
    | .sigmonster on vacation

    Lol, I have one of the Tayeh caps sitting in front of me still. It
    came from a Soyo 5EHM mobo, so the bad caps were around quite some
    time ago.

    Kylesb, Jan 16, 2005