    who I can contact to find this stuff out?

    TIA

    Christina

    Christina, Nov 23, 2003

  2. If that's a nicad or nimh battery pack, you can probably get it rebuilt. If li-ion, probably not. Parts aren't too expensive-probably under $50, but it can be labor-intensive, and sometimes you can get a better deal on a new battery on eBay. A very few computers used lead-acid batteries. These too can be rebuilt, but it can be a tricky job.

    four_season_photo, Nov 23, 2003

  3. Christina

    Christina Guest

    Nope its a lithium ion.

    I think the battery is fine, but the smart board or whatever it is inside,
    is telling the battery that its dead because it was charged down completely.

    I know theres chargers that exist to recharge them, but does anyone know
    where you can get these/how much?

    Christina, Nov 23, 2003
  4. Christina

    mike Guest

    It depends. Publish the computer model number and the battery part
    number. Maybe someone has specific experience.

    Find someone with the same computer and swap batteries to make sure
    you're fixing the thing that's broke.

    You might be able to find equipment that will reset the smart chip, but
    you won't be able to afford it.

    mike

    laptops and parts Test Equipment
    Honda CB-125S
    TEK Sampling Sweep Plugin and RM564
    Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser

    mike, Nov 24, 2003
  5. Christina

    Christina Guest

    The Notebook is a HP Pavillion zt1145
    The Battery is F1782A

    Im pretty sure its the battery. I ran it down completely and apparently you
    cant do that to Lithium ion batteries because they tell themselves to shut
    off because of the chip inside.

    It could be broke, it could just need to be recharged to make the chip
    realise its not broken. I wish I had a way or a place to do this.

    I dont know anyone with the same model as me. I'll check around and see if
    any computer places can test it but i doubt I'll have much luck.

    Christina, Nov 24, 2003
  6. Christina

    mike Guest

    In a perfect world, the laptop will shut down long before the battery is
    discharged enough to go into internal shutdown.

    There are a bunch of different protection schemes. I don't have any
    specific knowledge of this one. Maybe someone else does.

    Absent any other alternatives, you can sometimes crack the case and
    charge the cells individually. Sometimes that's all that is required to
    reset the chip...sometimes.
    But get help from an electronics geek with a roomfull of test equipment.
    and safety glasses.
    It's dangerous to just poke around in a lithium pack.

    mike, Nov 24, 2003