    each one until I find one.

    btw I use the HP Photosmart 3310 with MacBook Pro 2.16 gHz core duo
    with 1gb of ram

    ChrisHollandisback, Aug 13, 2006

  2. It's your call, but I don't keep records older than 7 years (condo, car,
    and other long-term assets excepted). Which is easier for you--keeping
    a filebox filled with folders marked by year, then purging old stuff
    every year or scanning and keeping it all. I destroy anything not
    pertaining to taxes after 2 years.

    I can't see the value of a phone bill from 2000, personally, but some
    people might find it amusing. What wine goes with wander through your
    old bills on a cold winter night?

    Michael Vilain, Aug 13, 2006

  3. Our biographers will want all that stuff :_>

    richard schumacher, Aug 13, 2006
  4. ChrisHollandisback

    patrick j Guest

    No they won't; information just gets in the way of biography writing :)

    patrick j, Aug 13, 2006

  5. Good idea.

    I'll just keep it - a shoe box for each year.

    After 4 years, I can just throw it out

    ChrisHollandisback, Aug 13, 2006
  6. ChrisHollandisback

    jayzenden Guest

    And if you start scanning now as stuff comes in, (which is much easier
    than doing a mass scan project) you'll eventually get rid of those
    shoeboxes :)

    I've just now gotten to where I pay my bills online and was printing
    out the receipt, but the mac makes it a lot easier to print to a pdf.
    I made a 'receipts' folder in documents.

    jayzenden, Aug 13, 2006
  7. ChrisHollandisback

    Ilgaz Öcal Guest

    You should try Vuescan from Hamrick software. I say "Try" as download,
    see if it works with your scanner and possibly get amazed to the fact
    that your scanner works better than its driver supports.

    http://www.hamrick.com

    It does the thing you need exactly. Just don't blindly buy it. Also
    there are 2 versions, the regular one comes with 1 year of updates (it
    keeps working of course) and "pro" one is unlimited updates.

    I am perfectly happy with it and recently I saw Canon guys updated
    their driver and I thought "well, lets have official driver too". The
    result was, I was 2x happy with Vuescan since my scanner worked half
    speed. It is always like that.

    Ilgaz

    Ilgaz Öcal, Aug 13, 2006
  8. ChrisHollandisback

    Silicon Sam Guest

    I have been a fan of Vuescan from way back.. It supports PC's and
    Macs, which I have both, and it supports my flatbed and slide film
    scanners. Good stuff. I got the unlimited upgrades to show my
    support....

    Raymond

    Silicon Sam, Aug 14, 2006
  9. I _HOPE_ you were kidding about "just thow it out". I SHRED my old
    records, in fact, anything with my name on it. But that level of
    privacy protection is up to you. You never know what you'll find when
    you dumpster dive in someone's trash. If it's cross-cut shredded, it'll
    take some serious image processing software and storage to reconstruct
    it (or a lot of meth).

    Or you could just go to IKEA and buy some of their storage solutions
    which don't look so tacky as shoeboxes on open-shelves:

    http://tinyurl.com/s4faa

    Michael Vilain, Aug 14, 2006
  10. That is a nice program, and considerably faster than the Canoscan
    Toolbox that came with my Canoscan 3200F. Also a *much* more
    intelligent user interface than the Toolbox! Thanks for the pointer.

    My understanding, however, is that is that you don't pay, you don't get
    to save files without a watermark.

    If I were to start using it, it would be nice to have it launch
    automatically when I press the programmable keys on the scanner (COPY,
    SCAN, FILE, E-MAIL). Right now those keys launch the Canoscan Toolbox.
    Where and how does one change who gets launched when you press those
    keys? I'm using 10.3.9.

    Doug Lassiter, Aug 14, 2006

  11. How about Working Papers: http://www.dominionsw.com/products.html

    Oliver Costich, Aug 14, 2006
  12. ChrisHollandisback

    Ilgaz Öcal Guest

    Hi,

    For that functionality Canon runs a "daemon" at background, adds it to
    startup. Check system monitor and you will see. That kind of stuff are
    famous for leaking memory and somehow cause CPU crisis btw :) In
    general. Not only Canon.

    Vuescan can make use of those buttons while it is running. I guess you
    must get rid of that background canon application first.

    Vuescan has a policy of "nothing added to system folder" (runs in its
    directory only) and "nothing resident" which makes people like it 2x
    more. Of course it means it won't launch automatically in that case.

    Here is where that menu is:
    http://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scannerbuttonma8.png

    I think if you want to use Vuescan with those buttons, you must get rid
    of stuff Canon installs to startup.

    BTW, I use Canon Lide 20 which is amazingly cheap but quality scanner.
    Canon driver never created problem too. It is all "commercial dedicated
    utility vs free driver" issue. Vuescan is winner of course.

    Ilgaz

    Ilgaz Öcal, Aug 16, 2006
  13. ChrisHollandisback

    Ilgaz Öcal Guest

    If you know that company, tell them to license Deja Vu compression SDK
    ( http://www.lizardtech.com/products/doc/ ) and they have a guaranteed
    customer.

    There is Lizardtech DejaVu which only suits to enterprise with its
    functions and complexity (and price!).

    If some company licensed and made use of that amazing document
    compression their sales will explode. Even home users.

    Here is a quote from that page.
    "Typical compression ratios are between 300:1 and 1000:1, which brings
    new life and usefulness to color paper documents. Imagine this: a
    typical full-color, letter-size or A4-size DjVu file at 300 or 400
    dots-per-inch takes a mere 50Kb, that is the size of typical web page."

    Figure what it means for software like that? ;)

    Ilgaz

    Ilgaz Öcal, Aug 16, 2006
  14. Just tried the vuescan thing and am absolutely not amased.

    The toolbox software is indeed crap, but there is also Canons scangear.

    H.

    Heiko Recktenwald, Aug 21, 2006
  15. Other than the SilverFast program, that's all your options for using
    this device. You'll have to decide which application sucks the least
    and hold your nose while you use it.

    Guess it sucks to be you...

    Michael Vilain, Aug 21, 2006
  16. ChrisHollandisback

    Ilgaz Öcal Guest

    Hello,

    It wasn't recommended to you at first place.

    I OWN Canon Lide 20 and I know how Scangear works. I am one of the
    types used SCSI scanners back in windows 3.1 days, I know the (lack of)
    quality assurance scanner drivers always had. It is always the same
    thing for any driver. Lets say, if Nvidia opened their specs and some
    company/programmer genius shipped a third party Gfx driver, you could
    bet it would have much more higher performance/quality than
    Nvidia/Apple ships.

    So... Vuescan got total 1M+ downloads and actively used in Fortune 500
    companies, NASA, Pixar etc. I am sure its competitor (Silverfast) is a
    good product too. It doesn't need YOU as customer for sure, thank God.

    Ilgaz

    Ilgaz Öcal, Aug 21, 2006
  17. ChrisHollandisback

    lukebosman Guest

    <http://tinyurl.com/mlvho> contains all you need to know.

    lukebosman, Aug 21, 2006
  18. ChrisHollandisback

    AES Guest

    [/QUOTE]

    iView MediaPro would let you take a bunch of scans that were generated
    with names like "Picture001", "Picture002", or whatever's the standard
    for your scanner software, and batch rename them as "Wells Fargo 01"
    "Wells Fargo 02", etc, in one easy step and with whatever string you
    cared to use.

    AES, Aug 21, 2006
  19. ChrisHollandisback

    Stewy Guest

    Well I guess you're wise to take precautions with a surname like
    that...:)

    Personally, I can't see what a 4 year old gas bill without my address on
    can be of interest to anyone except those paranoid fascists and control
    freaks in the White House.

    Stewy, Aug 22, 2006
  20. ChrisHollandisback

    R. Barre Guest