Having TV out audio probs with Realtek 5.1 AC97? Read this

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Gareth Edwards, Jul 8, 2003.

  1. After installing a new 9000 AIW into my Chyang Fun eCube, I had the usual
    fun of getting the TV out to work.

    Finally figured that the Line In wasn't the active input AND had its volume
    turned down. Change that and all was working just great.

    Then, a few days later, audio stopped working.

    Went through the whole checklist again, even so far as installing the
    latest drivers - in the wrong order - so had to start again. Grrr.

    Anyway, there I was, latest drivers, checked config, and still no sound on
    TV out!

    Jacked a protable CD player into the Line In to confirm that hadn't gone
    tits up, and found it didn't work. *gulp*

    Then, just by chance, I checked my Realtek audio out properties. I noticed
    that I had the speakers set to 5.1. In the tiny eCube configuration, in
    order to provide discrete 5 output, the damn thing switched the inputs,
    Line In and Mic, to outputs.

    It seems that I had been tinkering with the audio out properties to see if
    there was an option to enable the onboard SP/DIF out, and must have
    switched from 2 speaker to 5.1, cutting out the inputs in the process.

    Hopefully my tale of woe will help someone else out.

    G.

    Gareth Edwards, Jul 8, 2003