    Desktop Control Panel has encountered a problem and needs to close."

    The card works fine, but I'd like to be able to run the utility. Does
    anyone have ideas about what may be wrong, or how to figure it out?

    Jonathan Sachs, Jan 11, 2011

  2. Jonathan Sachs

    GMAN Guest

    Try downloading and reinstalling Microsofts .NET framework 2.0

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.
    aspx?FamilyID=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en

    GMAN, Jan 11, 2011

  3. According Add or Remove Programs, it's already installed. it's
    described as "Microsoft.NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2."

    Jonathan Sachs, Jan 12, 2011
  4. Oops - I see you said "reinstalling," not "installing." I can do that,
    but as a matter of prudence I want to make a current a system backup
    first. It may take a few days. I'll let you know how it turns out.

    Jonathan Sachs, Jan 13, 2011
  5. On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 18:15:03 GMT,
    (GMAN) wrote, ">Try downloading and reinstalling Microsofts .NET
    framework 2.0."

    Here is what happened.

    First, I tried to uninstall the component with the "Add/Remove
    Software" applet. It told me that it could not remove the file because
    programs were using it. (It didn't tell me what programs, of course.)

    I consulted the Microsoft Knowledge Base and found an article which
    explains "How to manually remove and then reinstall the .NET Framework
    2.0" (KB908077).

    The first step was to start the installer and remove the file with the
    comment "Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 RTL x86 enu." There was no such
    file.

    OK, I decided to move on to the next step to see what would happen.
    The instructions told me to go to C:\Windows\SYSTEM32 and delete the
    directory URTTemp and the file mscoree.dll.

    I deleted the directory. When I tried to delete the file I got "access
    denied," presumably because a program is using it.

    At this point enough weird stuff has happened that I want to stop and
    ask for your comment.

    Jonathan Sachs, Jan 17, 2011
  6. Jonathan Sachs

    GMAN Guest

    Its funny but right after i posted the last time, my Catalyst Control Center
    went belly up too. The solution i had that i was going to tell you is to
    download this program, called

    .NET Cleanup Tool

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx

    And then you have to reinstall at least .NET 2.0 to get CCC to work
    again.

    There are a couple of very important caveats that you should read before using
    this tool to cleanup .NET Framework bits on your machine:

    1.This tool is designed as a last resort for cases where install, uninstall or
    repair did not succeed for unusual reasons. It is not intended as a
    substitute for the standard uninstall procedure. You should try to perform an
    uninstall from Add/Remove Programs before using this cleanup tool.
    2.This cleanup tool will delete shared files and registry keys used by other
    versions of the .NET Framework. If you run the cleanup tool, you will need to
    perform a repair or reinstall for all other versions of the .NET Framework
    that are on your computer to get them to work correctly afterwards.

    GMAN, Jan 17, 2011
  7. Hmm... after reading al the warnings there, I wonder if I'm just
    stirring up trouble. I've been using this video card for about a year
    now, and I've survived without the Control Panel so far; perhaps a
    more sensible solution is to delete the Control Panel so that it won't
    annoy me with an error message every time I boot.

    What do you think of that approach?

    I Googled "ati control panel uninstall" and found many hits, but the
    ones I looked at all state or imply that it's impossible to uninstall
    the Control Panel alone; if you do, the drivers go with it.

    There's no "ATI Control Panel" entry in Add or Remove Programs, but
    there are several other ATI entries:

    ATI AVIVO Codecs
    ATI Catalyst Install Manager
    ATI Display Driver
    ATI Problem Report Wizard

    None of those looks like a disguise for a Control Panel, but...?

    Jonathan Sachs, Jan 17, 2011
  8. Jonathan Sachs

    GMAN Guest

    Its perfectly safe to allow the .NET uninstaller to wipe everything related
    to .NET. then you just need to go and download the installer for say .NEt 2.0
    from microsofts web site and then your back in business. Or you can just got
    to WINDOWS UPDATE under programs and let it redetec and download and reinstall
    the .NET stuff.

    I am back up now.

    GMAN, Jan 17, 2011
  9. Jonathan Sachs

    KCB Guest

    ?
    Run the ATI Catalyst Install Manager. You can use it to uninstall
    individual ATI apps. Follow the prompts through Custom Uninstallation, and
    you will then have check boxes for different items. Mine gives me the
    choices listed below. This is for a HD5850, so your options will probably
    vary slightly.

    ATI Problem Report Wizard
    ATI Display Driver
    HDMI/DP Audio Driver