HDD detection problem on Asus A7V8X-MX

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Patrick Dunford, Jul 28, 2004.

  1. Machine spec:
    Asus A7V8X-MX
    Athlon XP2600
    512MB DDR266
    Integrated audio, video
    WDC WD800JB-00FMA0 HDD 80 GB
    ASUS CRW5232AS CD rewriter

    There have been a few instances of it failing to detect the HDD on
    startup, or taking a very long time to complete detection. The BIOS
    settings are to auto detect the HDD each time the machine starts. This
    is a new computer only 3 months old.

    On this occasion after "Primary master hard disk fail" was reported I
    went into the BIOS settings and attempted to have the drive auto
    detected by the setup program, which also failed. However on the next
    power up of the machine the HDD was detected and I was able to get the
    HDD parameters entered into the BIOS.

    On other occasions that I have observed, auto detection has been
    extremely slow, and/or boot times have been extremely slow to complete
    booting and loading Windows XP.

    The power supply voltage monitor reads the following voltages:

    Vcore 1.71 V
    3.3v 3.34 V
    5.0v 4.91 V
    12v 11.55 V

    CPU temp 32°C
    MB temp 25°C

    Bios revision: 1003 (current release is 1006). No specific related
    issues addressed by any released BIOS updates.

    Have looked in the case and can see no problems, all connectors and
    jumpers on the HDD appear to be properly seated.

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 28, 2004

  2. Patrick Dunford

    Rider Guest

    I would be inclined suspect the hard drive being dicky before the
    motherboard. Have you run diagnostics on the hard drive?

    Rider

    Rider, Jul 28, 2004

  3. How do you do that?

    I just checked the IDE channels in Device Manager and found XP is only
    using PIO mode on device 0 of the primary (the HDD) even though it is
    supposed to use DMA if available. What does this mean?

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 28, 2004
  4. Patrick Dunford

    colinco Guest

    I just checked the IDE channels in Device Manager and found XP is only
    using PIO mode on device 0 of the primary (the HDD) even though it is
    supposed to use DMA if available. What does this mean?
    [/QUOTE]
    How is the drive connected? If the WD is the only device on a channel it
    has to be jumpered as such not master

    colinco, Jul 28, 2004
  5. Patrick Dunford

    EMB Guest

    Yep.... jumpered to use CS (as should all devices on this channel) and
    as addressed as the master by being connected to the end connector on
    the (80 pin) cable.

    EMB, Jul 28, 2004
  6. It has the standard jumpers (not the funny ones that earlier Caviars and
    such like had) e.g. MA SL CS and is jumpered CS

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 28, 2004
  7. Patrick Dunford

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Colinco's point is that Western Digital drives have two jumper settings
    where most other drives have one that does the same thing. With a WD drive
    it can either be set as 'master' which is the setting you use if there is a
    slave drive present or 'single' if there is no slave. Having it set as
    master when there is no slave causes problems, it needs to be set as single.
    WD are the only ones who do this AFAIK, other drives are fine just set to
    master whether there is a slave present or not.

    ~misfit~, Jul 28, 2004
  8. Patrick Dunford

    Harry Guest

    What disk jumper setting have you set?
    Cable-select or master or slave?

    Harry, Jul 28, 2004
  9. Patrick Dunford

    Harry Guest

    Isn't the master the connector in the middle, not the end?

    Harry, Jul 28, 2004
  10. Patrick Dunford

    Harry Guest

    But it is set for cable-select!
    There should be no jumper on master or slave pins whatever they are.
    Master/slave is determined by cabling.

    Harry, Jul 28, 2004
  11. Patrick Dunford

    Lil' Dave Guest

    WD. Yep, use those alot.
    My standard blurb for WDs standalone is do not use CS. Do not use any
    ribbon cable except spec 80 wire, 18 inches long. Do not place on middle,
    use end of ribbon cable connection. Remove all jumpers from the drive, this
    is standalone or master w/o slave setting.

    Lil' Dave, Jul 28, 2004
  12. Patrick Dunford

    Paul Guest

    Disk manufacturers have a "Drive Fitness Test" for their drives,
    and this test is typically used to determine whether the drive
    should be RMAed or not under warranty. Such a test can be destructive
    (i.e. if it does writes to the drive), so a backup wouldn't be a bad
    idea. Check the WD site to see if they have such a test.

    Another test is to find a utility that can read the drive S.M.A.R.T
    statistics. SMART is intended to give an early warning that the drive
    is not healthy, by counting detected errors and the like.

    As for your observation that Windows is running in PIO mode, this
    can happen if Windows is having trouble talking to the drive.
    There is a knowledgebase article that talks about the algorithm
    that Windows uses to throttle the communications rate to a
    drive it is having trouble with. This could be why you are in
    PIO mode.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472

    "After the Windows IDE/ATAPI Port driver (Atapi.sys) receives a
    cumulative total of six time-out or cyclical redundancy check
    (CRC) errors, the driver reduces the communications speed (the
    transfer mode) from the highest Direct Memory Access (DMA) mode
    to lower DMA modes in steps. If the driver continues to receive
    time-out or CRC errors, the driver eventually reduces the transfer
    mode to the slowest mode (PIO mode)."

    Workaround:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=#

    I notice you have one hard drive and one CDRW. Try placing them
    on separate cables, so the troubles of one drive are not
    upsetting the other drive.

    Your three PSU voltages look fine, as they are within the normal
    tolerance of +/- 5%.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jul 28, 2004
  13. Old WD drives have strange odd jumper settings (I have one in my machine
    at home, you may recall) with 8 - 10 pins on the jumpers.

    But this drive has the standard jumpers: MA, SL, CS with 6 pins on the
    jumpers.

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 28, 2004
  14. Patrick Dunford

    colinco Guest

    Old WD drives have strange odd jumper settings (I have one in my machine
    at home, you may recall) with 8 - 10 pins on the jumpers.

    But this drive has the standard jumpers: MA, SL, CS with 6 pins on the
    jumpers.
    [/QUOTE]
    http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/jumpers.asp

    They still have a single setting

    colinco, Jul 28, 2004
  15. Patrick Dunford

    joe_90 Guest

    That DDR266 on an XP2600 looks suspicious to me
    (unless you're one of the lucky few).

    joe_90, Jul 28, 2004
  16. Patrick Dunford

    ~misfit~ Guest

    http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/jumpers.asp

    They still have a single setting[/QUOTE]

    Thought so.

    ~misfit~, Jul 28, 2004
  17. That's what the BIOS reports on startup. I haven't looked at the RAM to
    see what is marked on it.

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 28, 2004
  18. Patrick Dunford

    ~misfit~ Guest

    It does indeed. Two possible reasons I can think of. Firstly the RAM and CPU
    FSB could be running asynchronously. (not good performance-wise) or secondly
    it could be one of the older XP2600+'s, T'bred core, 256KB L2cache, 133Mhz
    FSB.

    ~misfit~, Jul 28, 2004
  19. Patrick Dunford

    D Guest

    The reason for using CS is???

    D, Jul 28, 2004
  20. Patrick Dunford

    Lil' Dave Guest

    Don't mean squat if the jumpers are not configured for proper operation
    considering position on ribbon cable, and any other device on that cable.

    Lil' Dave, Jul 28, 2004