    MODEL DBCA-206480 6.49GB ATA/IDE 5V 500mA 4200 RPM SEP-99
    13424CYL 15HEADS 63SEC/T
    P/N: 25L2714 MLC: F41940

    Matamanolos, Feb 8, 2007

  2. Matamanolos

    paulmd Guest

    Standard IDE 2.5" ide drive. Googling on "m300 Hard drive" turns up
    drives as large as 100GB.

    So it probably has the 137GB limit. Anything under that size should bo
    OK.

    paulmd, Feb 9, 2007

  3. Matamanolos

    Matamanolos Guest

    Thank you very much. I don't know about notebooks and I was afraid of
    any hardware limitations.

    Matamanolos, Feb 12, 2007
  4. Matamanolos

    Matamanolos Guest

    Uh. I have to ask again. Some guy who has a 80G Toshiba HDD told me that
    I can't put a big disk on my notebook because the Bios wouldn't support it.
    I don't see any settings on the Bios to let me change the HDD
    configuration (cylinders, sectors, etc). Probably he's right and I have
    to go with a small HDD, 6G or 12G maybe.

    Thanks!

    Matamanolos, Feb 15, 2007
  5. Matamanolos

    Ben Myers Guest

    You won't know until you try it, or someone else responds back that they have
    installed a hard drive of a certain size. Neither HP/Compaq nor any of the
    other name-brand manufacturers bother to disclose the BIOS hard drive
    limitations on their systems, whether notebook or desktop, so it is almost
    always a guess.

    Given the relative age of the M300 and its BIOS, I am pretty certain that the
    system will accept a 30GB drive, just under one of the famous hard-coded BIOS
    limits of 32GB... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 15, 2007
  6. Matamanolos

    paulmd Guest

    Fwiw, It my search the first time, i also found a couple discussions
    where people with your laptop mention successfully using 40gb drives
    and larger with that laptop.

    http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/...41933&admit=-682735245+1171523698982+28353475

    This is the link for the 100GB drive i came across. Only thing
    different is they're selling it pre-mounted in the caddy.

    http://www.cmsproducts.com/detail.aspx?ID=555

    paulmd, Feb 15, 2007
  7. Matamanolos

    Matamanolos Guest

    Uh. I have to ask again. Some guy who has a 80G Toshiba HDD told me that
    (when I said "Some guy who has..." I wanted to say "Some guy who has a
    HDD to sell me")

    Thanks a lot Paul! And to Ben Myers too!
    I'll keep looking and with some luck maybe I came here again with an
    answer... One bad thing is that it seems that there are several
    "families" of Armada M300 that goes to Pentium III models, and mine is
    only a PII, so I have less odds.

    Matamanolos, Feb 16, 2007
  8. Matamanolos

    warreng

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    my m300 PIII 500 mhz has the 137gb limit

    Regarding Compaq Armada M300 / PIII / 500MHZ and large hard drives:

    just wanted to say that I succesfully installed and partitioned a 160 GB samsung hard drive but that I have been having all sorts of problems with Lilo, grub and grub2 when accessing partition 8 (which spans the 137th GB and with partition 9, which is entirely above it. ) After fruitlessly troubleshooting for 3 days, I have concluded it's a bios issue of the M300.

    So far as long as I don't use that upper region of the disk, it works fine in my Compaq ARMADA M300.
    -WG

    warreng, Mar 25, 2011