hdiutil "requires that you type your password" - but only from one account

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Timur Tabi, Sep 23, 2006.

  1. Timur Tabi

    Timur Tabi Guest

    I have two admin accounts on my Mac, running OS X 10.3.9. I wrote a
    complex shell script that performs backups every night of the both
    accounts. This script uses hdiutil to create a .dmg file.

    When I run the "hdituil create" command from one of these accounts, it
    works fine. When I run it from the other account, a dialog box appears
    that says "hdiutil requires that you type your password". This is new.
    A couple days ago, hdiutil didn't do this, and now I can't make it
    stop.

    Obviously, something is different between these two accounts, but I
    can't figure out what. Of course, I did repair permissions, but that
    didn't help.

    So, not only do I not know why one account doesn't work, I also don't
    know why hdiutil would ever need authentication. After all, I'm just
    creating a .dmg file in my home directory.

    Can anyone help me?

    Timur Tabi, Sep 23, 2006

  2. Timur Tabi

    Timur Tabi Guest

    Never mind, I figured it out. hdiutil does this when a file I'm trying
    to archive belongs to another user. I guess I should have read the man
    page for hdiutil more carefully! The fix is to add the option
    "-anyowners".

    Timur Tabi, Sep 23, 2006

  3. Timur Tabi

    Hans Aberg Guest

    Strange: it does not work at all on my computer. :)
    Are you putting the backup in your home directory?
    Scary: can the program give root permissions to anyone?

    Anyway, when backing up /Users/ onto optical media, I found it necessary
    to do it as 'root', in view of the permissions issue.

    Hans Aberg, Sep 23, 2006