    turns the motherboard upside down and over....faces stage left instead of
    the normal stage right
    oldfart

    oLDfART, Aug 20, 2006

  2. oLDfART

    Paul Guest

    It has been reported to be a problem. The chipset ends up at an
    elevated temperature, when the board is upside down.

    For some brands of motherboards, you can sometimes buy replacement
    mechanical parts for the non-heatpipe version of a motherboard, and
    they fit the same pushpin holes as the heatpipe mechanical parts.
    But that kind of thing doesn't happen too often. Here, for example,
    you can get a replacement MOSFET cooler (non-heatpipe version).
    You can also find chipset coolers, like Zalman or Swiftech, but
    a fan should be used due to the power being dissipated.

    http://estore.asus.com/shop/category.asp?catid=135

    Seriously though, I'd dump the case and get something practical.
    An old steel battleship, with a beige finish :)

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 20, 2006

  3. I believe most heatpipes we see in PC kit have a wick inside which makes
    them fairly "gravity proof"

    http://www.answers.com/topic/heat-pipe

    Andrew McP

    Andrew MacPherson, Aug 20, 2006