    reading this group already know. I've eliminated the 'dual power supply'
    plug in and unplugged the case fan. This leaves fans on the PS, display
    adapter, and CPU.

    Dodgr Rereksin, May 4, 2004

  2. Dodgr Rereksin

    CrimsonLiar Guest

    Yes there are CPU heatsinks that dont have attached fans, such as some of
    the Zalman's (www.zalmanusa.com) the Scyth Heatlane
    (http://www.tsheatronics.co.jp/zen/english/ncu1000_e.html) and I guess
    several others. Things to remember though are you may be voiding the
    warantee on you chip by using one of these heatsinks, and they require that
    your PC allready has a good flow through of (not recirculated) air.

    Im guessing from what you write that you are trying to build a quiet PC. My
    tips would be make sure you have a solid well designed case that directs air
    into the right places and the you could try using sound proofing material
    too. Next, just try feeding "building a quiet pc" into google, you'll get
    some interesting reading.

    Have fun, quiet PC's arent that difficult, and you get to play with the same
    toys as all the overclockers (but with that more sensible goal, without the
    risks of blowing your PC up.

    CrimsonLiar

    CrimsonLiar, May 4, 2004