    Anyone ever come across this before? Is this moulding available as a spare
    part? I've managed to patch it up but I don't know how long it will last.

    Iain

    swarfmaker, Mar 18, 2006

  2. swarfmaker

    Jay B Guest

    do not turn it on again without making sure the heat sink is securly
    fastened or you risk burning out the cpu!!!!!

    Jay B, Mar 18, 2006

  3. swarfmaker

    Fixer Guest

    I'vw come across this before out in the field happens alot on optiplex GX50
    and it required a motherboard swap out it maybe possible to replace the CPU
    socket but i doubt it

    Fixer, Mar 18, 2006
  4. swarfmaker

    James McHarg Guest

    I had a similar problem with my daughter's Dimension 2350.
    I feel it must be a 'latent' defect. The black plastic "Heat Sink Retention
    Module" had three broken spring attachment points.
    After being on the phone to Dell Reps in India, Philllipines and God knows
    where else, I was finally able to order a replacement part (7T094) for the
    Dimension 2350. Cost was $3.95 + $.830 S/H.
    I find that some of the Dell script monkeys are very rude (or stupid). If
    they don't know how to proceed, they just hang up on you and then you have
    to start all over .

    James McHarg, Mar 22, 2006
  5. swarfmaker

    IT-drone

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Corrected parts list for Dimension 2350 heatsink attachment

    We had the same problem with our Dell Dimension 2350 heatsink. (Once the part broke, the computer couldn't even completely boot before it shut down due to heat issues.) When I called Dell to order the replacement "Black Heatsink Retention Module" using the part number abover [7T094], I was told that is only the screw for this module. The actual part number for the black plastic Heatsink Retention Module is 8T065, which cost me $4.95 + $8.00 shipping + sales tax. The screws, 7T094, cost $0.10 each.

    IT-drone, Aug 4, 2006
  6. swarfmaker

    bydjohn

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    8T065 Heatsink Retention module

    I had the exact same problem (ie, wouldn't boot, shut down, etc) recently with my Dell 2350, same solution. I was online going to order the part when I read the thread here; it empowered me to call Dell and complain, saying a lot of others were having the same problem. Apparently they have had a lot of other complaints, so all you need to do is raise this as a latent defect issue and they'll send you the part for free, no shipping costs either. Had it in two business days. Guess it'll work until it disintigrates again but by then hopfully I'll have a new computer!

    Just wanted to spread the word and say thanks!!

    bydjohn, Feb 1, 2007
  7. swarfmaker

    large_satchell

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Dell Dimension 2350 melted heatsink retention module

    Same exact problem here with our Dell Dimension 2350.

    We bought it in 2003. Last week it started turning itself off after less than 5 minutes of use. I assumed the PSU was going south, which didn't make me happy because Dell uses proprietary PSU's that have to be special ordered. However, as soon as I opened the case the problem became apparent: the metal clamps that are supposed to hold the heatsink in place were detached and rattling around inside the case! The plastic "heatsink retention module" looked as if the clamps had literally melted directly through the plastic!

    Well I came here and read about all the other people with the same problem with their Dell Dimensions and it was obvious that the Dimension 2350 has a latent defect w/ the retention module and/or heatsink.

    I called Dell. At first they tried charging me $30-some for the replacement parts (the warranty expired 3 years ago). I said heck no, the problem was due to a latent defect in their product, the least they could do is mail me the cheap plastic replacement part (which will probably just melt again) for free, and THEY DID. I was honestly suprised. Although the Dell reps I spoke to all had thick Indian accents, the last guy I spoke with was very nice and handled the problem professionally and satisfactorily (ie, mailed me the part for free :) ).

    Hopefully the CPU and/or mobo is not permanently damaged from people trying to use the PC while the heatsink wasn't attached!

    Anyway, I can confirm that the correct part #'s to get from Dell are: 8T065 (black heatsink retention module) and 7T094 (screws).

    Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
    large_satchell, Sep 8, 2007
  8. swarfmaker

    techienwpa

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Dell Dimension 2350 heat sink retention module

    I found the best price at Impact Computers. they have all of the other parts too. 8T065 Plastic Frame that supports the Heatsink, 4T602 Clips, 1U581 Heatsink

    techienwpa, Sep 12, 2009