    shocked to see how big it was and that it had a copper plate, But I think Im
    just going to break down and buy an all copper heatsink fan. What I want is
    some recomendations somthing that cools good and not to pricey. Thanks Jay

    jay, Apr 9, 2004

  2. jay

    Sept1967 Guest

    I'm a big fan of Thermaltake Volcano 7+ (around $29).

    All copper, comes built in with a fan speed selector (low,medium,fast,) for
    your choice of sound over performance. I run mine at medium (3200rpm) and
    it's very quiet. Keeps my 2600+ normally at 107f, and maxes out around 117f
    during gaming. Add Artic Silver, great combo.

    Sept1967, Apr 9, 2004

  3. jay

    J. Codling Guest

    Jay

    I use the Volcano 11+ on auto fan control. You have to know what you are
    doing since you need to tape the thermal sensor to the bottom of your cpu
    but I love it. It is all copper and I lapped it to a mirror finish in an
    hour. (It does come pretty good but I was being picky) It only gets loud
    when it is under load. I don't hear it because when it is under load I am
    usually playing a game. That's what the volume control is for. ;o)

    My 2500+ at 3200+ speeds runs at 38 C Idle/43 C load with the fan going on
    high only under load.

    I also have a Volcano 7+ and mine is not all copper. Just a copper slug. It
    is old though and running in my server.

    I don't know about the prices around you but I found the ThermalTake HSF
    kind of pricey since I've seen in here that you can get some other quieter
    ones for less.

    J. Codling, Apr 9, 2004
  4. jay

    Buffalo Guest

    Lap it and use a good quality heatsink compound.
    Run your most intensive programs and if it stays under 60C, it will probably
    be just fine.
    Why run cooler if it doesn't have any problems?
    Waste of money. (IMOHO)

    Buffalo, Apr 10, 2004
  5. jay

    empireAA Guest

    The reason is that it possibly will extend the life of your cpu. But in the
    timeframe that systems become obsolete these days, I guess the life
    expectency of your cpu is a moot point.

    empireAA, Apr 10, 2004
  6. jay

    Buffalo Guest