    I would appreciate advice from someone who has already done this. If
    anyone knows where I can buy a CPU without an attached heatsink (in
    the USA) at a reasonable price, please let me know.

    Zack, Jan 19, 2004

  2. Zack

    noone Guest

    the retail box intel heatsink is a seperate part, you can choose to never
    install it at all, or remove it easily at a later time, without touching
    the cpu itself. It's also a pretty good unit, lots of people never
    upgrade it at all, and the retail box (w/ HS+fan) is often only a couple
    of bucks more than the OEM (cpu only).

    noone, Jan 19, 2004

  3. Zack

    TomG Guest

    the Intel retail heat sink does not come mounted in my experience so you get
    the retail and then buy the Zalman (great cooler, by the way... I run the
    all copper version myself...)

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 120,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Jan 19, 2004
  4. Zack

    Dion L Heap Guest

    Or you could go with the heavy duty approach as I have with the Thermaltake
    slk900 as I have, although there's a new version out now with heatpipes,
    mine has a 92mm Vantec Tornado bolted on it! Now THAT'S cooling!

    regards,

    Dion L Heap
    www.thetophouse.com

    Dion L Heap, Jan 20, 2004
  5. Zack

    Zack Guest

    Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm glad to see I was worried about
    nothing. I have one more question and then I'll be ready to put
    together my new system.

    I read in this newsgroup that the Zalman flower heatsink
    CNPS7000A-ALCU doesn't fit on the IC7-MAX3 because of interference
    with the OTES. I read in the Abit forum that it fits perfectly, so
    which is correct? If anyone has succeeded or failed with this heatsink
    and motherboard, please post your experience. Thanks!

    Zack, Jan 20, 2004
  6. Is the all copper version really better than the one with copper core
    and aluminium surrounding? From what I've been reading copper conducts
    heat better but aluminium dissipates heat better. That's why I'm using
    the Vantec Aeroflow which has a copper core surrounded by aluminuium
    fins. A copper/aluminium combo sounds to me like the best solution, in
    theory anyway.

    Rudolph McCrack, Jan 20, 2004
  7. Zack

    John Lewis Guest

    In the case of the Zalman CNPS-7000 series, very little temp
    difference according to several test reports ~ 1 degree C.
    I have the AlCu on my IC7-G and am very happy with it.

    The AlCu version of the CNPS-7000 is the only version that
    complies with Intel support-weight spec for the hold-down clamp.
    So if you ever expect your computer to be shipped anywhere,
    avoid the Cu-only version.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Jan 20, 2004
  8. Zack

    TomG Guest

    it may not, in fact, be better and it is certainly a lot heavier.

    TomG, Jan 21, 2004