Hellp Please! Tyan S1832D w/Dual PIII 600 Coppermines

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Don Harold, Jul 4, 2003.

  1. Don Harold

    Don Harold Guest

    Hello All,

    I recently committed myself to purchase a Tyan S1832D mobo and 2
    coppermine P III 600's. I do a lot of video rendering and that's what
    this board was used for - video editing. I understand that it is
    reputedly a very reliable board often used in servers. The seller
    tells thatthe Bios has a multitude of tweakes including a setting for
    a 133 FSB.

    I'd like to get the most outof the mobo and processors. What might I
    expect from this layout. Could it possibly run reliably on a 133
    fsb. That would be great. I'd love to push to 800 if I could. It is
    replacing an antiquated Epox kp6 with dual cellie 300a's at 450. The
    kp6 has always been a pain. I think the IDE channels are defective
    among other things.

    Can anyone provide any insight into this project?

    TIA
    DH

    Don Harold, Jul 4, 2003

  2. Don Harold

    Rick Guest

    Yes, you should be able to run them with no problem at 133FSB.
    The 600E's are monster overclockers. Just make sure your memory
    is PC133 or better and your AGP video can handle the overclock.

    RickW

    Rick, Jul 4, 2003

  3. Don Harold

    Don Harold Guest

    Thanks for your prompt response. I have two 256 mg sticks of pc133.
    I would assume that the AGP on the mobo will support it. The card in
    theold machine is an old Viper v330 - I have no idea what it would do
    on a 133 fsb. Probalbly choke for sure. I'll probably have to get
    another card. Soem kind of Radeon something or other - I like the
    dual monitor scenario.

    Thanks again,
    DH

    Don Harold, Jul 4, 2003
  4. Don Harold

    Phil Weldon Guest

    In general, Tyan motherboards of that vintage were known for being very
    robust, but not at all overclocking friendly. Tyan had a policy of
    deliberately emphasizing reliability. I suggest you visit the Tyan web site
    and check the validity of what you have been told .... the Tyan Tiger 100
    has no provision for FSB speeds above 100 MHz except for 103 MHz and 112 MHz
    and no provision at all for setting the CPU core voltage. I'd stay away
    from this motherboard and look for something mor suyitable for video
    editing... a pair of Pentium III 600 MHz CPU's are not up to the job, even
    if you have an operating system that recognizes two CPU's and an application
    written to use two CPU's.

    Phil Weldon,

    Phil Weldon, Jul 4, 2003
  5. Don Harold

    Rick Guest

    I just checked and Phil appears to be correct:
    http://www.tyan.com/support/html/PentiumII_III_PPGA.html

    According to the chart the S1834 has 133FSB support, the S1832
    does not.

    RickW

    Rick, Jul 4, 2003
  6. Don Harold

    Don Harold Guest

    On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 00:52:40 -0400, "Phil Weldon"

    Thanks for your response. I just visited the Tyan web and read the
    doc for the Tiger 100. You were correct - no 133 fsb and no voltage
    adjustment. The seller obviously has not checked his manual.

    I retired - disability and I only do a little part time work - video
    editing for a couple of good friends. The system in question is used
    just for rendering. It' s slow but I just let run. What would you
    recommend for an upgrade for this system? My other machine is a
    celly1.3 on an Abit VH6 and I do most of editing and stuff on it. I'm
    thinking of upgrading it to a AMD XP2500 on a Abit KD6E.

    Once again, thanks for you response. I'd appreciate any further
    recommendations you might have. Please remember that my budget is
    somewhat limited and as muchas I would like it dual p4 3.0 are out of
    my price range.

    TIA
    Don

    Don Harold, Jul 4, 2003
  7. Don Harold

    jasonoc Guest

    how about this

    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=45566
    £28.19 inc VAT

    for the motherboard purely for cheapness and the fact you could still use
    your pc133 ram coupled with

    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=31299
    £44.58

    In total equals 73 quid, bet that would be a dam site faster encoding than a
    dual p3-600 rig. If you have money left over go for a better cpu (or you may
    need a newer atx power supply depending on if you already have a 300 watt
    one or not).

    Jason.

    jasonoc, Jul 7, 2003