Help! 10.2.6 Major Problems Computer Freezes Randomly and Frequently

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Shan, Sep 17, 2004.

  1. Shan

    Shan Guest

    Hi,
    I've had my Mac for about 14 months, and for almost as long I've had
    it it has had the habit of freezing on me (the dreaded immovable
    cursor). I have gone through a litany of solutions and NOTHING works.
    Here's what I've tried:
    -repair disk multiple times
    -repair disk permissions multiple times
    -erased and reloaded all software
    -ran hardware test multiple times
    -bought and ran disk warrior (the computer froze several times when I
    was running the program)
    -bought extra RAM
    -took to Genius Bar at AppleStore
    This last one was particularly frustrating because after checking it
    out and not finding anything he asked if I had a file-sharing program
    on it. I said I have Poisoned and he said that was my problem and then
    gave me a mini-lecture about file-sharing, even though I've used
    Poisoned maybe three times. But, he sent me on my way and I went home
    and got rid of Poisoned and my computer still freezes!

    I'm really out of ideas and would love love love to find out what's
    going on. My computer froze four times (!!) yesterday while I was
    working on a project for my job.

    The problem truly seems random: it will freeze seemingly at anytime
    and while I'm in any program. The only seemingly consistent thing that
    happens is that I always seem to be online when it happens -- not
    necessarily surfing or downloading, but no matter what program I'm in
    (word, illustrator, safari, anything), the computer will almost always
    freeze eventually. ARRRRRGH!

    I don't know if there are software conflicts or what, but if anyone
    has encountered this problem and can offer suggestions, or at least
    point me in the right direction in these forums, I'd greatly
    appreciate it.

    Shan, Sep 17, 2004

  2. He was wrong. But did he tell you to disconnect all USB
    devices and uninstall all USB drivers? The main problem
    I had with Jaguar was due to the awful Logitech drivers.
    That and Thoth.

    George Williams, Sep 18, 2004

  3. You mention that you bought extra RAM. Did you swap it out or just add
    it in?
    I have on a few occaisions (and once just a few days ago) spent hours
    troubleshooting computers only to discover that I had bad RAM in it. If
    you have extra RAM, and you haven't already taken the old RAM out, try
    that.

    Jeff K

    Jeff Kelleher, Sep 18, 2004
  4. Logitech mouse by chance?
    He sounds like more of an asshole/moron than a genius to me. :(

    Steven Fisher, Sep 18, 2004
  5. Shan

    matt neuburg Guest

    What kind of Mac? The dual G5s are famous for doing this. See Apple's
    discussion lists. In any case it's a hardware problem; the trouble is
    your RAM, something connected to the computer, or the computer itself.
    Stop playing with software; it won't make any difference. m.

    matt neuburg, Sep 18, 2004
  6. Shan

    Ernie Klein Guest

    While your problem could be any of what Matt suggested, bad RAM is right
    up there near the top of the list.

    You say you "bought extra RAM". Does this mean you had the same problem
    _before_ you added the new RAM? If so, have you tried removing the
    _original_ RAM and use only the new RAM (in the same slot as the
    original)? Just because you passed the hardware test does not mean that
    the RAM is good. That test almost never finds intermittent RAM faults.
    --
    -Ernie-

    "There are only two kinds of computer users -- those who have
    suffered a catastrophic hard drive failure, and those who will."

    Have you done your backup today?

    Ernie Klein, Sep 18, 2004