    to make sure but has anyone else experienced a similar issue and fixed
    it by other means or is are the LED's a reliable method?
    Thanks!

    cxu1029, Apr 17, 2004

  2. cxu1029

    Inglo Guest

    The Bad CPU lights can mean several things, not enough power (you could
    have an incredibly crappy PSU), bad memory (the cpu can't talk to the
    memory), or an improper install of the CPU (you put it or the
    Heatsink/Fan in wrong), it could be a bad motherboard or a short
    somewhere on the motherboard, or an actual bad CPU.

    It helps to list your full specs when trying to figure out a problem
    like this.

    Here's how I'd list mine:
    K7N2-L, BIOS 3.9, Drivers 3.13
    AthlonXP 2500+ (182MHz x 12= 2.19 GHz)
    Vantec Aeroflow HSF w/Arctic Alumina (CPU temp: idle 41c/load 45c)
    2x256Mb Corsair XMS PC2700 (Dual Ch. 6 3 3 2.5)
    Radeon 9600 Pro
    SB Audigy Gamer
    WD 80Gb HDD (8Mb Cache)
    Lite-On 52X32X52 CD-RW
    Toshiba 16x DVD
    Antec True Power 430W PSU
    Windows XP SP1/DirectX 9.0b

    For example, some people had a hard time getting their K7N2s to post
    because of their ATI Radeon cards (a BIOS update fixed this but if you
    haven't flashed your BIOS and you have a Radeon card that could be the
    problem).

    You might also want to try the MSI forums for help:
    http://forum.msi.com.tw/, and if you ask there those guys always want to
    know your power supply specs.

    Inglo, Apr 17, 2004