    WHAT THE HECK???? Is it the wrong chip? Or is Windows? What do i do? (This
    BTW is the SECOND chip cuz the first 2700+ chip I bought did the same
    thing!)

    Toby, Oct 29, 2003

  2. Toby

    Chris Lanier Guest

    The AMD Althlon 2700+ only runs at 2.17Ghz. This is a marketing thing for
    AMD to keep up with Intel. This chip run's "as fast" as an Intel 2.7Ghz
    chip.

    Chris Lanier, Oct 29, 2003

  3. Toby

    Toby Guest

    My computer is saying that its a 2100+ running at 1.7Ghz .. Its supost to be
    2.1 right??

    Toby, Oct 29, 2003
  4. What does the computer startup diagnostics screen/BIOS say?
    You may have to configure your motherboard (if your motherboard even accepts
    the chip) or you may have to flash the BIOS, etc.

    BTW - I noticed you gave your email (it looks real enough) - if so, expect
    some spam increase in your inbox. Some may look like they are from
    Microsoft, 99% of them will not be.. Never install patches unless you
    downloaded them from a reliable source.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    "Just trying to help"

    How to Use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups
    http://tinyurl.com/fkja

    How do I go about posting an informative question?
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    How to use Google
    http://www.google.com/help/basics.html
    http://tinyurl.com/fkmc
    -------------------------

    Shenan T. Stanley, Oct 29, 2003
  5. Make sure your bus speed is correct in your BIOS. You may be running at
    100mhz when the 2700 cpu should be at 133mhz.

    George Cruppi, Oct 29, 2003
  6. Toby

    Tod Guest

    What motherboard are you using and bios version ?

    Tod, Oct 29, 2003
  7. In the bios, adjust your front side bus speed to whatever the CPU runs at
    (100 mhz, 133 mhz, 166 mhz etc).

    Crusty \(-: Old [email protected] :-\), Oct 29, 2003
  8. Toby

    Seth Guest

    In my BIOS it says:
    CPU Freq: 13.0x
    CPU/PCI Freq(Mhz): 133/33
    CPU Speed: 1733 Mhz

    I can change the 1733 Mhz to Manual and change the other settings.. but
    what to?

    Seth, Oct 29, 2003
  9. Toby

    Seth Guest

    Its an ASUS A7S333

    Seth, Oct 29, 2003
  10. Toby

    Seth Guest

    BTW Seth = Toby

    Seth, Oct 29, 2003
  11. Toby

    rstlne Guest

    FSB needs to be increased from 133 to 166

    rstlne, Oct 29, 2003
  12. Toby

    Seth Guest

    It saiz that the 2700+ has a 333Mhz FSB... But that isnt an option in my
    BIOS.

    Seth, Oct 29, 2003
  13. Toby

    Seth Guest

    Seth, Oct 29, 2003
  14. Set it for 166 and be done with it! The M/B gives you an effective doubling
    of the 166+. Hence, 333 mhz.

    Crusty \(-: Old [email protected] :-\), Oct 29, 2003
  15. Toby

    rstlne Guest

    FSB needs to be increased from 133 to 166
    It "saiz" that
    but I "saiz" FSB needs to be increased from 133 to 166

    rstlne, Oct 30, 2003
  16. Toby

    Toby Guest

    When I set it to 166, it gives me an error and keeps bringing me back into
    BIOS

    Toby, Oct 30, 2003
  17. Toby

    rstlne Guest

    It saiz that the 2700+ has a 333Mhz FSB... But that isnt an option in
    my
    is your ram pc2700(333 ddr) or pc2100(266 ddr)
    if this is the A7S333 then it doesnt officially support a chip with a FSB of
    166

    You need to make sure as you increase fsb that your memory is set
    accordingly. If set to auto then it should set itself in. I dont have the
    board so I couldnt tell you about overclocking it to get teh full potential
    of the chip but I would guess that's what your going to have to do

    rstlne, Oct 30, 2003
  18. Toby

    Mikey Guest

    Hi,

    a)
    The regular 2700+ AMD XP cpu runs at a frontside bus of 266 so the memory is
    set at 133.
    Then the DDR-133 (Double Data Rate) Memory by design doubles that to 266.
    The memory modules need be rated as "2100" or better to achieve that.

    Set it any higher than 133 in the Bios and it will kick-back down to achieve
    133 *2 =266.

    The 2700+ is a CPU rating only: it runs at 2.17 or so but is the equivalent
    overall (AMD quoted here) to a P4 2.7. Hence the 2700+.

    The CLOCK MULTIPLIER times the FSB gives you the final CPU speed.
    ==>>> Read your insert to find the correct one. <===
    *****************************
    b)
    The amd xp known as the "BARTON" runs at a fsb of 333.
    The memory needed to "keep-up" is DDR-166 aka: "2700" at least. Here we
    have: 166*2=333.

    Funny thing is then that the BARTON for the same CPU rating runs way-slower
    than the regular XP.
    It's got more OnDie cache (64 + 64 +512 vs 64 + 64 +128) for the regular XP.

    c) The AMD MP runs at a 400 fsb. Memory needed is "3100" or + . It's
    200*2=400)\

    Ratings: the same way.

    Mikey

    Mikey, Oct 30, 2003
  19. Toby

    Jym Guest

    Set the bus speed for the cpu. 133. Higher ram chips will run at lower
    speeds. But the cpu will not run at a much higher speed the designed for.
    Jym

    Jym, Oct 30, 2003
  20. Toby

    Tod Guest

    Motherboard ? Asus lists A7S266 or A7V333, but not A7S333, recheck your
    motherboard model.
    It looks like the only AMD XP 2700+ sold, is the one with the 166 bus speed.
    You may try to return the 2700/333 and get a 2600/266

    Tod, Oct 30, 2003