HELP!! 2100 or 2700???

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Toby, Oct 29, 2003.

  1. persona non grata, Oct 30, 2003

  2. You gotta love these people who purchase processors without first
    establishing whether their board can handle it. That board cannot take a
    2700+. As Tod said, you may attempt to return it, but - usually - a company
    will only take a CPU back if it's their error - not the customer's; and the
    fault is clearly yours, because you failed to check whether your board was
    capable of running the chip.

    Best you can do is eBay, IMNSHO.

    persona non grata, Oct 30, 2003

  3. Toby

    Tod Guest

    High end processor support for the A7S333

    Athlon XP 2000+(Model 6)(Palomino) ALL 1002
    Athlon XP 2000+(Model 10)(Thorton) 1.03 1005
    Athlon XP 2000+(Model 8)(Thoroughbred) ALL 1002
    Athlon XP 2100+(Model 8)(Thoroughbred) ALL 1002
    Athlon XP 2100+(Model 6)(Palomino) ALL 1002
    Athlon XP 2200+(Model 10)(Thorton) 1.03 1005
    Athlon XP 2200+(Model 8)(Thoroughbred) ALL 1002
    Athlon XP 2400+(Model 8)(Thoroughbred) ALL 1004
    Athlon XP 2400+(Model 10)(Thorton) 1.03 1005
    Athlon XP 2600+(266FSB)(Model 8)(Thoroughbred) ALL 1004

    Tod, Oct 30, 2003
  4. What the fugger is a 'Thorton'?!

    persona non grata, Oct 30, 2003
  5. Toby

    Tod Guest

    It appears that the Thorton is a Barton core with half the cache disabled.
    I would assume that when AMD tests a Barton core and only half the L2 cache
    will work,
    it disables the bad half (leaving 256K) selling it as a Thorton, instead of
    having to through
    away the whole processor.

    Tod, Oct 30, 2003
  6. Toby

    Wes Newell Guest

    The 2700+ deffault settings are 13x166MHz. Sounds like you have yours set
    to 13x133MHz, which is the speed of a 2100+. That's why it's reported as a
    2100+. Your board (A7S333) doesn't officially support a 166MHz FSB, but I
    think it will run it, assuming the rest of your components are up to the
    task. If not, then you should leave the FSB at 133 and change the
    multiplier to 16.5. That should give you 2700+ speeds (2200MHz). if you
    can't get it stable, raise vcore a little until it is.

    Wes Newell, Oct 30, 2003
  7. Toby

    Wes Newell Guest

    Marketing bullshit. It's designed for a 166MHz FSB.

    Wes Newell, Oct 30, 2003
  8. Toby

    Wes Newell Guest

    The cpu will run in his board, The only requirement is that the board
    support a FSB of at least 50MHz. Now I'm not sure if the 745 chipset will
    do 166MHz FSB, but that doesn't matter. He can still run it at 133 MHz and
    get the speed up simply by changing the multiplier to 13 to 16 or 16.5.

    Wes Newell, Oct 30, 2003
  9. Toby

    Wes Newell Guest

    All well and good, but has little meaning as to what cpu you can actually
    run in the board. And it will run any of them, up to the 3200+. Just have
    to know how to do it.

    Wes Newell, Oct 30, 2003
  10. Toby

    rstlne Guest

    heh
    are you even sure the SiS745 will do 50 ;)

    rstlne, Oct 30, 2003
  11. Toby

    Pug Fugley Guest

    Sounds like your motherboard can't handle anything faster than a 2100..time
    to upgrade.

    Pug Fugley, Oct 30, 2003
  12. Toby

    rotor Guest

    Yes well Work this out for a con,
    Was running Ga-VAXP Mobo Standard With xp 2700+ and cpu speed was
    2250 mhz the same as a Barton 3200
    The same speed with a GA-VAXP Ultra with the A northbridge
    Just recently Stuffed the CPU into a N-Force 2 Mobo GA-7N400 Pro 2 and
    the CPU Dropped to 2167 Mhz
    Tryed the multiplyers to get the speed back up but No Can do!!
    Very nice Mobo Though but it just goes to show that there is a little
    bit of hanky-panky going on to get you to upgrade your CPU.
    My opinion is unless you go the whole hog and fork out for a Barton
    3200, The XP 2700+ is the best chip out there if you marry it up to
    the correct MObo

    rotor, Oct 31, 2003
  13. If you're using (which I'm sure you are) one of the chips that are labelled
    according to AMD's lovely new speed system, then there is some slight
    deception versus what normal chips (like Intels) are labelled as.

    AMD is labelling their new XP chips as a comparative speed rating to their
    competition (namely Intel).

    So, a chip that's labelled XP 2700+ means that it performs LIKE an Intel P4
    2.7GHz chip (ideally), but in REALITY, it's actual clock speed is only
    2.1GHz.

    In addition, if you're further curious if themotherboard you have is, in
    fact, able to handle the XP 2700+, then I suggest you find the brand and
    model number of the motherboard and do the appropriate research at the
    motherboard manufacturer's website.

    For some further helpful information (FAQ) on the XP line of Athlon chips,
    you can look at their downloadable document (www.amd.com, PDF file
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/FAQ_Rev05_ENG.pdf).

    Jayson M. Sperling
    TLUW Networks
    Network Administrator

    Jayson M. Sperling, Oct 31, 2003
  14. Toby

    Wes Newell Guest

    What new system? They've been using a Preformance Rating for over 2 years
    now.
    And what's wrong with that? How would you rate the Athlon64 3200+. I think
    it runs at 2GHz, but runs as fast, and faster in many cases, as a 3200MHz
    P4.
    And in REALITY, clock speed doesn't mean squat when comparing 2 totally
    different architechtures of cpu's. It's only relevent when the cpu's are
    the same.
    This is worthless. See sig line. Look up it's supposed capabilties on the
    Abit website.:)
    Read a small section of this. It's not very accurate in the portion I
    read.
    That explains it.:)

    Wes Newell, Oct 31, 2003
  15. Toby