HELP! ABit AV8 with Athlon Winchester 3500+ cpu not fully booting

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Nigel Smith, Mar 10, 2005.

  1. Nigel Smith

    Nigel Smith Guest

    Have just run this new computtr up and found the following results.
    There are no graphics on screen at ay time and I have just one hard drive
    and one floppy connected - Yu can tel I was doubtful cant you!
    anyway on power up all fans started up including the cpu fan and the led
    inside is green. Get a 3.0. then it goes 0.2. then 9.0. (Which I thought was
    a complete and final to the POST) but then the green led goes off the red
    one comes on and there is a two tone sound from the system speaker. Pressing
    rst gives a F.0. and the same results.
    There was a pop and some smoke from the power supply after I had removed
    just one of the two DDR400 memory banks and it happend almost straight after
    starting.
    I have read alot that some of these boards will not see a Winchester 3500+
    in this case and there is a BIOS update. Well if I cannot start it I cannot
    update it either so what now? Is this a symptom of not recognising the cpu
    or something else?
    Can anyone help. I tried the Abit forum but the email has not yet been
    received so I cannot post the problem there.

    Please can anyone help me out.

    Nigel Smith, Mar 10, 2005

  2. Nigel Smith

    John Lewis Guest

    The smoke has nothing to do with the memory bank.
    Either you have a cheapo and nastyo power-supply which cannot supply
    the load, or you have somehow hooked up power (or a peripheral)
    incorrectly, or you have a short-circuit to the case. Any smoke from a
    power-supply demands its immediate replacement....plus disassembly of
    the motherboard installation and very careful mechanical and
    interconnect inspection for potential shorts before firing up the
    replacement power-supply. If there has been a short, the motherboard
    itself may have been damaged as well as the power-supply.
    Nothing to do with the smoke and pop from the PS.........

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Mar 11, 2005

  3. Nigel Smith

    RonK Guest

    The smoke may have come from your cpu. The fan in the power supply draws the
    smoke through it. Check your cpu heatsink for proper contact. A two tone
    siren warning usually means the cpu is overheated.

    RonK, Mar 11, 2005
  4. Nigel Smith

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Right. The cpu might have done a "melt down" - which should cause max
    current to/through the motherboard - then power supply couldn't handle
    the load - then ... pop.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    < snip >

    - HAL9000, Mar 11, 2005
  5. Nigel Smith

    Nigel Smith Guest

    Have now disembled everything and yet cannot see any burnt out resistors
    (thats what it smelt like) I would imagine there was a dead short to ground
    for it to have gone so abruptly and quickly and cannot recall much smoke
    which meant that I could not see where it originated from. I cannot remember
    if the rear fan was illuminated, which should be illuminated like the front
    one and since it alll works still up to the point of 9.0. in the post code
    table, where the AWARD BIOS "takes over" it may even have been something to
    do with that. so far I have RMA'd the power supply and hope the motherboard
    which although v1.1 has the serial number for a board that will NOT
    recognise the Athlon winchester chip. That being the case I guess all kinds
    of beeps and codes could be expected.

    Nigel Smith, Mar 11, 2005
  6. Nigel Smith

    Russ Guest

    if you get the "90" code a replacement bios chip is in order. I had the same
    problem. I think you can get a new bios from Abit, but there is other places
    to get one. I forget where I got mine, but it was only $17 shipped via US
    mail and came pretty fast. Popped it in and she booted right up!.

    Russ, Mar 12, 2005
  7. Nigel Smith

    Nigel Smith Guest

    Guess the BIOS chip is the answer. One is on its way but have returned the
    mobo and took a full refund. Need now to know the next beter mob that WILL
    accept the Winchester WITHOUT any problems.

    Nigel Smith, Mar 12, 2005
  8. Nigel Smith

    Russ Guest

    ahh, too bad you could have waited for the bios chip. Once I plugged in the
    updated bios I have had nothing but good luck with this board. I have the
    3000 Winchester and she is a nice stable fast machine. I like how you can
    slow the fans down too. I have a 120mm case fan on 8.1 volts and my heatsink
    fan is turned down all the way (via a knob on a back slot cover) and it's
    nice and quiet and never goes over 46C playing some game like Halflife 2.

    I have installed the evaluation copy of Windows XP-64 bit (Dual boot with
    Win2K as the main OS) and it works well, though drivers are hard to find
    yet for everything. When the official product comes out I'll be in line to
    buy it. Windows 2000 is a good OS but it's time to move on.

    Russ, Mar 13, 2005
  9. Nigel Smith

    Nigel Smith Guest

    I have actualy now ordered the third eye version with the Guru gizmo. I
    thought it was with the mobo I originaly bought but I was wrong! Hope the
    new board has the required BIOS.

    Nigel Smith, Mar 13, 2005