HELP: Athlon Thunderbird 1400+ settings....(?????)

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Ippus, Mar 2, 2005.

  1. Ippus

    Ippus Guest

    Hi,
    I've got an Athlon Thunderbird 1400+ CPU (the last Athlon before Athlon XP)
    on a ABIT KG7, chipset AMD 761....
    I would like to know which is the properly speed that I must set it on....

    I mean, if it's a 1400+ it means that it works just like a 1400 but it isn't
    effectively a CPU working at 1400 MHz...right?

    My actual setting is:
    -FSB: 133 MHz
    -Multiplyer: 10x
    ==> it works at 1333 Mhz....at 52 °C....is it ok or is it too hot?

    In your opinion, is it the proper setting? And which is the base setting?

    Any suggestion?

    Thanks for reading....

    Bye

    Ippus, Mar 2, 2005

  2. Ippus

    dawg Guest

    1400's actualy ran at 1.4ghz. 133 x 10.5

    dawg, Mar 2, 2005

  3. Ippus

    Rubbie Guest

    Temperature is OK for an Thunderbird.... they were well known for their
    temperatures, so to say ;) :)

    Greetings Rubbie

    Rubbie, Mar 2, 2005
  4. Ippus

    Bill Guest

    <snip>

    I seem to remember the "B" model ran at 14x100. The "C" ran at 10.5
    x133.

    Bill

    Bill, Mar 2, 2005
  5. Ippus

    Ippus Guest

    And how can I discover it? I mean, how I could understand if I've got the B
    or the C one?

    ....Now I just see that if I set it at 1200*133 it is unstable....at 1333*10
    it is ok....but....If I do a simple application, temp increase up to 60°C
    ......is it "bad"?
    Which is the Critical Temperature that it could support?

    Ippus, Mar 2, 2005
  6. Ippus

    Bill Guest

    On the top of the processor, < wipe off the heat paste and get your
    magnifying glass out > there is a line of numbers that goes like:

    A1400XXXXB or A1400XXXXC B for the 100FSB and C for the 133 FSB.

    This was nice enough to bookmark:

    http://www.thedigerati.us/info/amdcpuchart.html

    Scroll down to AMD Thunderbirds/ Model 4. Max Temp on die is 95C, but
    since you're not measuring the die temp I wouldn't let it get past 65C
    indicated. I seem to remember mine got flaky above that temp.

    Bill

    Bill, Mar 3, 2005
  7. Ippus

    Rubbie Guest

    Hmm my ADM TB is getting up to 72c in the summerdays... runs smooth though,
    I'm using a C version btw :).

    Rubbie

    Rubbie, Mar 4, 2005
  8. Ippus

    Bill Guest

    Ya, but how accurate is your measuring device for temp. If it's the
    motherboard, who knows what the temp really is. As an old tech/QA guy,
    if it wasn't measured with a calibrated meter with recent calibration
    sticker on it then I don't trust it. 72C on your board might be the
    same as 63C on mine and might really be 71C when measured with the
    meter. That'd make you only one degree high, which is erring on the
    good side, and mine eight degrees low erring on the bad side.

    I use the bios temp as a ball park, crank it up 'till I get errors,
    then back off a bit 'till it's stable again. YMMV.

    Bill

    Bill, Mar 4, 2005
  9. Ippus

    Rubbie Guest

    Bios is showing that to me ;)... and my pc automatically turns off if it
    reaches 75c... anyway, I don't have problems with instability :) and also
    never OC'd it yet... and not planning too either ;).

    Rubbie

    Rubbie, Mar 4, 2005
  10. Ippus

    Ippus Guest

    How Could I discover which model I'm using?
    Is it strictly necessary to remove the fan?
    Bye

    Ippus, Mar 6, 2005
  11. Ippus

    Wes Newell Guest

    Depends on which Mb you have and how much you understand, otherwise, yes.

    Wes Newell, Mar 7, 2005
  12. Ippus

    Nope Guest

    ABIT KG7 and I understand a lot :)
    However, it doesn't really matter because I've found that it's stable at
    50°C @1333 Mhz (133 x 10) and 56 °C working.....
    In other I've recently changed my graphic card (I've changed a GeForce2
    MX400 for an ATI Radeon 9200) and CPU temperature had decreased a lot....I
    know, CPU temp isn't strictly related with GPU temp....but in a closed case
    a hot card increase the temperature inside it and keeping it cold is more
    difficult....
    however......
    nevermind......

    Thanks.

    Nope, Mar 12, 2005
  13. Ippus

    Chuck Guest

    if you can run at 10*133 you should be able to run at 10.5*133 which is the
    correct setting for an athlon 1400 thunderbird. as for keeping you case
    cooler I have a couple suggestions. First make sure you have at least 1
    exhaust fan in back of the computer .. other than the one on the
    powersupply. Second a front intake fan of the same size, as the exhaust fan.
    third concider getting a slot fan to cool your video card. I suggest the
    Vantec Slot Fan, it's different than standard ones in that insteas of a
    blower type that moves very little air (15 cfm) out the back of the
    computer, it has two 70 mm fans that move 45 cfm of air and circulates the
    air inside the case, eliminating the problem of hot air building up in one
    part of the case.

    Chuck, Mar 12, 2005