HELP, Athlon XP 2400+ 266MHz T-bred on a 8KTA3 Rev 1.0

Discussion in 'Epox' started by not@here, Apr 7, 2005.

  1. not@here

    not@here Guest

    Does anyone here have a Althlon XP 2400+ 266 MHz Thoroughbred B
    (AXDA2400DKV3C) running on a plain 8KTA3 rev 1.0 MB? If so, could you please
    tell me how you got it to work? What BIOS version/date are you running &
    what exactly are all the other settings you used to get it to work.
    I currently running a AXDA1800DLT3C oc'd at 1.55 VCore 133x12 (1600MHz,
    1900+) with the German BIOS dated 4/09/2003 with no problems. But when I put
    the 2400+ in, the PC won't POST, no beep, nothing. And the monitor gives me
    a "check input cable" or "check input signal", I don't remember which, for
    5-10 seconds then goes into standby mode.
    I can't get into the BIOS to change any settings. I've tried to change the
    jumper for the Host Clock from 133 to 100 with the same results.

    I am told that the CPU is good from the person who sold it to me & that the
    problem is my MB. But shouldn't I at least be able to get into my BIOS and
    underclock the 2400+??? I've read several times where someone is
    successfully running a 2400+ on a 8KTA3 rev 1.0. What am I doing wrong?
    Please help.

    Roger

    not@here, Apr 7, 2005

  2. not@here

    DaveL Guest

    Try holding down the "Insert" key when powering on. Go to Epox website and
    get the latest bios. Clear the cmos and load bios defaults. You are told to
    cpu is good but you should make sure by testing it in another system.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Apr 7, 2005

  3. not@here

    not@here Guest

    What does holding the insert key do during power on? That's a new one for
    me.
    I have the latest Bios that there is, 8KT33409.
    I can't test it in another system as no one I know has an MB that could
    support this CPU.

    Roger

    not@here, Apr 7, 2005
  4. not@here

    DaveL Guest

    The "Insert" trick works on my Epox system. It makes the system boot at
    failsafe defaults. I use it when trying out different overclocking
    settings. If I go too far with a setting and the system won't boot, I
    simply power off and back on with the insert key and low and behold it boots
    at 100 mhz fsb.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Apr 8, 2005
  5. not@here

    not@here Guest

    I wish I had known that sooner, it might have made a difference. The guy
    told me to mail it back & would give me a refund. So I did. Now I don't have
    it to experiment with. I suppose I'll just have to go ahead & upgrade the
    MB,CPU & Mem. Less headache & a sure thing. For $265 I can get a Chaintech
    S1689, Athlon 64 3000 939 & 512MB DDR400 Mem. That would go nicely with my
    new 6600GT. It would be a far cry faster than what I have or would have with
    the 2400+. Thanks anyway for your help.

    Roger

    not@here, Apr 8, 2005
  6. not@here

    yez

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have been reading this thread with great concern, because I'm also using Epox EP-8KTA3Pro now currently running on Athlon 1.2Ghz (Thunderbird) cpu, I'm planning to purchase a 2nd hand Athlon XP 2000+ (Thoroughbred [not sure if it's A or B]), so my problem now is can my EP-8KTA3Pro support the Athlon XP processor? I still haven't update my Mobo bios eversince, so i guess it still carries the old 2001 bios, I have already downloaded the 02-05-2002 bios but I still haven't updated it yet, I hope to get some expert opinions first... :confused: also how about AMD Semprons for Socket A :confused: Thanks much and more power...

    YeZ

    Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
    yez, Jun 24, 2006