HELP!! Awful performance on SunBlade 150 + XVR-100 ... Also OpenGL accel?

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Ralph Seguin, Apr 9, 2004.

  1. Ralph Seguin

    Ralph Seguin Guest

    Help!!!

    I just got a new SunBlade 150, 1 gig RAM, 80 gig disk, onboard video
    (not sure what it is + our sysadmin installed an XVR-100 card, freshly
    installed Solaris, ...
    The display is terribly (unacceptably) slow.

    helios:~(4)% uname -a
    SunOS helios 5.9 Generic_112233-11 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-100

    It is running dual head (displaying on some LCD flat panels), with one
    (right) head panel being run by motherboard gfx card, and the other
    (left) head being run by the XVR-100. Both heads are mapped into a
    single large display (see xdpyinfo below).

    The display is just dog slow. If I have a number of windows open and
    I switch desktops, it takes several seconds to refresh the
    display/windows. My expectation is that it should take maybe 0.25
    seconds; I run a dual head Athlon Linux box that feels super snappy in
    comparison, with refreshes being like 0.05 or less.

    I'm running Gnome desktop 2.0. I suspect a driver problem, as I feel
    the window manager/desktop has nothing to do with this. I guess I
    could be wrong.
    In any case, CDE did exactly the same thing.

    It looks like there is only one visual available: 24 bpp. I wish
    there were a 16 bit visual (which is what I run for my Linux box).

    Is this a known problem?
    Is OpenGL acceleration possible with this board/combo/setup?
    Fixes/patches available? (I did some searching on sun.com and found a
    couple of patches that said that sdtimage is extremely slow on
    XVR-100:

    http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/retrieve.pl?doc=fpatches/114537

    (from 114537-16)
    4857383 fbconfig -prconf -propt reports a mismatch of depth when fake8
    is
    disable.
    4868991 panic on resolution change
    4893876 sdtimage extremely slow on xvr-100

    Thanks!
    Ralph

    To send email, use my first name above
    _AT_ 'm' 'y' 'b' 'r' 'a' 'i' 'n' _DOT_ 'o' 'r' 'g'

    helios:~(5)% xdpyinfo
    name of display: :0.0
    version number: 11.0
    vendor string: Sun Microsystems, Inc.
    vendor release number: 6610
    maximum request size: 262140 bytes
    motion buffer size: 256
    bitmap unit, bit order, padding: 32, MSBFirst, 32
    image byte order: MSBFirst
    number of supported pixmap formats: 4
    supported pixmap formats:
    depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
    depth 8, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
    depth 16, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
    depth 24, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
    keycode range: minimum 8, maximum 254
    focus: window 0x924dc4, revert to Parent
    number of extensions: 30
    AccessX
    Adobe-DPS-Extension
    DOUBLE-BUFFER
    DPMS
    DPSExtension
    Extended-Visual-Information
    FBPM
    LBX
    MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    MIT-SHM
    MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
    Multi-Buffering
    RECORD
    SECURITY
    SHAPE
    SUN_ALLPLANES
    SUN_DGA
    SUN_OVL
    SUN_SME
    SYNC
    SolarisIA
    TOG-CUP
    XC-APPGROUP
    XC-MISC
    XEVIE
    XIE
    XINERAMA
    XInputDeviceEvents
    XInputExtension
    XTEST
    default screen number: 0
    number of screens: 1

    screen #0:
    dimensions: 2560x1024 pixels (722x289 millimeters)
    resolution: 90x90 dots per inch
    depths (2): 1, 24
    root window id: 0x27
    depth of root window: 24 planes
    number of colormaps: minimum 1, maximum 1
    default colormap: 0x21
    default number of colormap cells: 256
    preallocated pixels: black 0, white 16777215
    largest cursor: unlimited
    current input event mask: 0xfa203f
    KeyPressMask KeyReleaseMask ButtonPressMask
    ButtonReleaseMask EnterWindowMask LeaveWindowMask
    ButtonMotionMask StructureNotifyMask
    SubstructureNotifyMask
    SubstructureRedirectMask FocusChangeMask
    PropertyChangeMask
    ColormapChangeMask
    number of visuals: 1
    default visual id: 0x22
    visual:
    visual id: 0x22
    class: TrueColor
    depth: 24 planes
    available colormap entries: 256 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks: 0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
    significant bits in color specification: 8 bits
    helios:~(6)%

    Ralph Seguin, Apr 9, 2004

  2. (Ralph Seguin) writes in comp.unix.solaris:
    |I just got a new SunBlade 150, 1 gig RAM, 80 gig disk, onboard video
    |(not sure what it is + our sysadmin installed an XVR-100 card, freshly

    The on-board video is a PGX-64 - uses the m64 driver patches.

    |It is running dual head (displaying on some LCD flat panels), with one
    |(right) head panel being run by motherboard gfx card, and the other
    |(left) head being run by the XVR-100. Both heads are mapped into a
    |single large display (see xdpyinfo below).

    Xinerama will add overhead and slow the system down a bit.
    Make sure you are up to date on m64, pfb, and Xsun patches
    for your OS version.

    |I'm running Gnome desktop 2.0.

    Make sure you install MediaLib and try some of the other suggestions on:
    http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/817-3853/6mjdu70di?a=view

    (The one tip they don't list that I find helps with GNOME is to just
    kill Nautilus completely - but then I use a command-line shell, not
    a GUI file manager to manage my files on Solaris. For some reason,
    I do the complete opposite on MacOS X and have never figured out why
    the difference is - perhaps just habit.)

    |Is OpenGL acceleration possible with this board/combo/setup?

    No - the PGX-64 and XVR-100 are both sold as low-end 2D cards - you
    can install OpenGL, but it will mostly render in software without
    hardware acceleration.

    Alan Coopersmith, Apr 9, 2004